4641 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VM compatibility version of Oneview

IvH
Occasional Advisor

VM compatibility version of Oneview

Hi!

My Vmware guys tells me the my OV is running a very old "HW" version - Version 7, which was supported in ES/ESXI 4.0 (and later).  We're running ESXI 6.7, which has version 14.

In the vCenter console it says "Upgrade Available". 

Is it supported to upgrade HW version of this appliance to latest (14)?

(We have same issue w 3PAR service processor and SSMC, and the new ILO-Amplifier package..)

Regards

Ivar

IvH
4 REPLIES 4
BhaskarV
Trusted Contributor

hi @IvH 

What version of OneView VM appliance are you using?
OneView 4.10?
OneView 4.20?
OneView 5.00?

We need hardware version 9 for OneView 4.10 and OneView 4.20
We need hardware version 11 for OneView 5.00

hence asking.

Depending on the version of OneView you have or you plan to use, take a look at the support matrix.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00045392en_us is the support matrix for OneView 4.10. Table 1 on page 5 has the list of hypervisor vrsions that are supported. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00059959en_us is the support matrix for OneView 4.20. Table 1 on page 6 has the list of hypervisor versions that are supported.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00069595en_us is the support matrix for OneView 5.00
Table 1 on Page 6 has the list of hypervisor versions that are supported.

ESXi 6.7 is supported for all three versions of OneView - 4.10, 4.20 and 5.00
Check the table carefully for ESXi 6.7 Update 1 and Update 2. 

Let us know if you have questions.

Regards,
Bhaskar

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

PeterWolfe
Respected Contributor

Said another way:

> My Vmware guys tells me the my OV is running a very old "HW" version - Version 7, which was supported in ES/ESXI 4.0 (and later).  We're running ESXI 6.7, which has version 14.

That's not really whar the "HW version" is all about. It's about the specific features that VMware virtualizes to the guest. Check out this table: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-789C3913-1053-4850-A0F0-E29C3D32B6DA.html

So the later HW version support guests with more memory, more IO adapters, more NVMe controlles, more NICs etc. etc. Bottom line: nothing that OneView needs.... Version 7 was kosher for OneView UNTIL Spectre/Meltdown. At that point, a guest needed to be at HW version 9 or later in order for ESXi to present/virtualize the new host microcode fixes to guests. OneView could have stayed at 9 until the next thing that came along that required a move. OneView V5.0 went to 11 because VMware retired older versions and OneView V5.0 requires ESX 6.x or later (11 was the version introduced with ESXi 6.0). 

Bottom line is there is not reason to move at all unless the documentation instructs you to move as in the case of Spectre/Meltdown. The HW revision is not "old" for OneView. 

> In the vCenter console it says "Upgrade Available". 

Where exactly do you see this. I have serveral VMs still at HW revision 7 and vSphere client (v6.7) is not complaining for me. 

PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

@PeterWolfeMy question more relates to the process and timing of upgrading the vm hardware to 11 as required for OneView 5.0.  My OneView 4.20.02 vm is still at hardware version 7 (I apparently missed or overlooked the guidance to upgrade to vm version 9 for Spectre/Meltdown) and I am interested in upgrading to OneView5.0.  Is it really as simple as powering off the OneView VM, upgrading the vm to version 11 and powering the vm back on?  And whould I do that while the vm is still at version 4.20.02 in preparation for the upgrade to OneView 5.0?  Or do I upgrade to 5.0 first and then upgrade the vm version during the power cycle that happens during the upgrade process?

PeterWolfe
Respected Contributor

> And whould I do that while the vm is still at version 4.20.02 in preparation for the upgrade to OneView 5.0?  Or do I upgrade to 5.0 first and then upgrade the vm version during the power cycle that happens during the upgrade process?

Technically it shouldn't matter. You can do it before or after upgrading. In reality, it matters a little in this specific case There is a release note for V5.0 where the VM console doesn't display correctly until after the version 11 upgrade. The maintenance console works fine, just not the console's browser interface. Knowing that, just upgrade the hw revision at 4.20.x and then upgrade. That nicely sidesteps the issue entirely.