5004 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VUP for ESXi 7.0 U3c available?

Andreas78
Occasional Visitor

VUP for ESXi 7.0 U3c available?

Hi

Since the Upgrade to ESXi 7.0 U3c we can not use the single image anymore. The VUP package 1.4.3 from Oktober 6 2021 has the following image validation issue: 

The operation cannot continue due to downgrade of the following Components: MRVL-E3-Ethernet-iSCSI-FCoE.

The other image components we have chosen are:
ESXi Version: 7.0 U3C
Vendor Addon: HPE Customization for HPE Server 703.0.0.10.8.1-3

Using an SPP would not help cause this is upgrading the Bios to an unsupported version. Does anyone has a download location for a VUP package with ESXi 7.0 U3c compatibility or is there a possibility to remove the MRVL-E3-Ethernet-iSCSI-FCoE component in the ILO Amplifier appliance?

Regards
Andreas

5 REPLIES 5
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

I'm not sure if you'e using vLCM or not, but this doc may be helpful.

https://vibsdepot.hpe.com/customimages/Valid-vLCM-Combos.pdf 

VMware had issues with 7.0 u3 and removed it, and only recently it has been added back.

It looks like you may need to use the Gen10 SPP 2021.10.0 instead of VUP 1.4.3.

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
support_s
System Recommended

Query: VUP for ESXi 7.0 U3c available?

System recommended content:

1. HPE VMware ESXi 7.0 U2 Customized Image Release Notes for May 2021

2. HPE VMware ESXi 7.0 U3 Customized Image

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

Andreas78
Occasional Visitor

Yes the question is about the VMware Lifecycle Manger in vCenter Server Appliance 7

We are using the ILO Amplifier Appliance as recommended by VMware and HPE because together with the VUP Packages we are always sure that the Firmware / Drivers / Bios are always matching the HCL.

It was a big struggle making that solution up and running and I would like to stay on the ILO Amplifier Appliance if possible.

The PDF is linking to the SPP 2021.10.0 for ESXi 7.0 3b and 3c. But the SPP can only be used with OneView as mentioned in the document. So do I understand it right, that ILO Amplifier Appliance is not supported anymore?

Why is HPE recommending an SPP that will upgrade our Bios  (DL385 G10+) to verison A42 2.50 and Boot Controller (NS204i-p) to verison 1.0.14.1060 if neither of them is in HCL? Speaking from experience I know that we would lose support from both HPE and VMware.

So I really think that the VUP Packages are the best solution.

Any possibility to build / modifiy my own VUP package and upload it to ILO Amplifier Appliance?

UserName1
Frequent Advisor

We are experiencing the exact same issue.

We were about to roll out U3 but it seems the VUP that relates to this is too old now and need to be re-released.  Until that happens I think we are stuck.

I was a massive pain to get single image working as we needed it for vSAN but it is so fragile.

UserName1
Frequent Advisor

Just to follow up on this, I fixed out problem with u3c/d today.

SPP2021.10.0 isnt supproted on Single Image in vmware by the looks of it.  We had to create a custom SPP and make sure that supplement 3 was also added (from March 2022) and download that ISO and upload it to OV.

We Have since been able to fully patch vSAN cluster via single image without an issue today.