New Discussion

Re: Virtual Connect 16GB 24-Port Fibre Channel module

SOLVED
Go to solution
Generious
Occasional Advisor

Virtual Connect 16GB 24-Port Fibre Channel module

Morning Folks,

Just got brought into a new contract the client has already purchased the hardware and is now looking to get HP OneView 2.0  setup and manage the enclosures with it.

Reviewing the bill of materials they have ordered 14x HP VC 16GB 24-Port FC Modules ( 751465-B21 ) looking at the 2.0 compatibility Matrix http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04764760

Under section: 2.10 Interconnect modules

I can see the modules they are listed as 
Unmanaged support

The note against it.. 
Unmanaged support means that the device can exist in the enclosure and function as-is, but it is not managed by HP OneView.

When will HP OneView Support the 16GB VC FC Modules in a fully Supported Configuration?
The hardware has not been delivered yet so I need to know as soon as possible as I might have to end up telling the client to cancel the purchase of these modules.
And order a HP Virtual Connect 8Gb 24-port Fibre Channel Module instead.

Also if they choose not to cancel the order what are the implications?
I take it we can no longer manage the OneView Generated WWNs or use?
And it would all need to be configured outside of oneview?
How would this impact the Server Profiles creation?
Would this mean we can create a profile without the SAN connect go back into VC and add the connectios in that way?

Best Regards
Gen

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @Generious, and welcome to the HPE OneView Community Forums.

Infortunately, the 16Gb VC FC module is not supported with HPE OneView 2.0 or older.  It will show up as Unsupported and Inventory.  You cannot manage Fabrics or FC Connections to it until the module is supported in HPE OneView.  HPE OneView will pick up support for this module in the v.Next release, which we currently are planning on 1H of 2016.  You can deploy the module with Virtual Connect Manager, and then migrate it to HPE OneView v.Next with a new VC Online Migration feature (as opposed to the current Offline Migration feature OneView supports today).

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Generious
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for getting back to me about this perfect answer client is happy to wait.
I have another question if you don't mind :)

If we proceed and install the enclosure and configure it using VCM how exactly will the Online Migration Feature work?

As we are looking to use OneView managed WWNs and MACs so could we in theory use a OneView range today then use the new version of the Virtual Connect Migration feature to migrate it into OneView?

Or would we be better off waiting?
Appreciate you may not be able to answer this question just trying to figure out if we should just hold wth the configuration or press on with the a VCM configuration.

Or will it support migrations from a VCM range going forward which would make it so much easier for many customers.

Best Regards

Gen

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Online Migration will be able to take a supported VCM configuration, and in parallel, migrate the running configuration to HPE OneView.  This is to address the issue a lot of our customers have, which is they don't have a lot of time for maintenance and can't afford to take an entire enclosure out of service to migrate to OneView Managed.

The Migration feature will migrate VCM assigned addresses within the Server Profile, so they won't lose those addresses during migration.  If they would rather use OneView's LLA address capabilities (where the ranges are randomly generated and no longer predefined), then they can wait.  It's completely up to them.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo