1748165 Members
3740 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: What is the OS of Oneview Appliance

blo88om
Occasional Contributor

What is the OS of Oneview Appliance

Does OVA run any OS? Does anyone know what is the OS of the Oneview Appliance?

16 REPLIES 16
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

As HPE OneView is an appliance, we do not advertise the OS. Customers have no control over the OS or internals.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

blo88om
Occasional Contributor

Yes understand that. But customer wish to know. Is it Linux? If yes, what is the flavour?

JakubM
Advisor

Appliance is linux based - as i remember it's HP build of CentOS/RHEL.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

It is an HPE customized and secured Linux varient; specifically CentOS.  Customers have no control over the OS or the internals of the applinace, so I'd like to understand why your customer is asking?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>:I'd like to understand why your customer is asking?

Perhaps a security scanner is making assumptions based on what it thinks is the OS version?

Hyper-Bob
Visitor

I think the question is perfectly valid.

In my case I wish to know so that I am able to select the correct version of Linux for my SCVMM implimentation.

The OVA I have is a hyper-v VM and in SCVMM you should indicate the base os for correct installation of "Virtual Guest Services".

PhS-
Regular Advisor

Same here 

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The Hyper-V appliance already has the Linux Integration Services installed.  The appliance is not manageable by customers.  You can select RHEL or CentOS as the OS type for MSSC-VMM. But, you really should be importing the appliance VM, which would help define that for you already.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

PhS-
Regular Advisor

Thank you for you quick response.

I have 2 instances of the appliance running on my HyperV cluster manage with SCVMM. (one for acceptance, and one for production, in different VLANs).

Not only I don't see the Operating System, but I don't see the IP Address neither. (VM additions are deteced). Would you know how I can have SCVMM be aware of the IP ? Which Version of CentOS shhould I select ? 5 64bit, 6 64bit, 7 64bit, 7.3 64bit, 5 32bit, 6 32bit ?)