108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Where is the Automatic Discovery in HP OneView

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simpat
Frequent Advisor

Where is the Automatic Discovery in HP OneView

I have more than a thousand devices of servers & storages. It seems like I have to add one by one.

In HP SIM, I can create system discovery straight forward by input the subnet list.

Is there the posibility to add them into HP OneView by subnet discovery or import from any text files or from AD?

|------------- ( ^__^ )--------------|
I'm Happy when You're Happy
13 REPLIES 13
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Thank you for your question @Simpat.  That feature is currently not present within HP OneView.  Discovery of systems is performed via the Add Actions Menu within the Enclosures or Server Hardware UI context.  If you require to bulk add supported systems, I would check out either the PowerShell (https://hponeview.codeplex.com) or Python (https://github.com/HewlettPackard/python-hpOneView) HP OneView libraries.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Simpat
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Chris, I will try to apply to my server list.

|------------- ( ^__^ )--------------|
I'm Happy when You're Happy
jgeorge44
Occasional Visitor

I don't see a script in either repo that would give an example of registering a server. We have a LOT of rackmount systems (no blades) and adding them by hand is not really an option. The REST docs say you can register a rack server with a POST to /rest/server-hardware but there's no documentation in the server-hardware page that shows how to define the ilO hostname, iLO user name and password needed to register the service. I note the python git repo is updated pretty often, is this a script that you expect might be posted soon? Thanks!
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

There isn't a "script" in the PowerShell library.  It's a CMDLET called "New-HPOVServer".  I don't maintain the Python library, but there is a similar operation one would need to perform.  I'll ask the maintainer to provide a sample script to the Github repo.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

jgeorge44
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the pointer. I figured it out, I was able to dig through the page source for the oneview UI to get a guess at the parameters it wanted.

For anyone keeping score at home, this worked for me (posting it to /rest/server-hardware)

{"hostname":"server-ilo.example.com","username":"Administrator","password":"xxxxxxxx","licensingIntent":"OneView"}'

You have to feed OneView kind of slowly - if I submitted registration tasks more often than once every 45 seconds or so, I'd randomly drop a couple.

Cheers,

Joe

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

So keep in mind that this operation results in an async task.  There will be initial validation that would occur before the task is accepted and then executed.  The API currently does not offer a method for bulk add, unlike creating Network Resources.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

jgeorge44
Occasional Visitor

Bummer. That seems to be a huge missing feature.
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

@jgeorge44 Thank you for your feedback.  While I cannot comment on futures, do know we take every customers valueable feedback to help prioritize our features backlog.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

SeanOBanion-G1
Occasional Advisor

It looks like I need to loop through all possible IP addresses in a subnet and pass each to Oneview with Add-HPOVServer to see if it's an iLO or Onboard Administrator (OA)?

Would it be better to use Insight Remote Support (IRS), which does allow discovery of iLO and OA in an IP address range, to get a known address list?

Our management is telling us that they would like us to audit all connections to our network on a regular basis, and at least for our iLOs and OAs, a discovery in a subnet was the critical feature in HP Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) that did not scale beyond 20, where we have closer to 100. Oneview was suggested by our HP support team as the next level of scalability for management. That appears not to be true, and based on feedback at HP Discover, Oneview 3 will not address this level of system discovery, and any expectations in the furture for this in Oneview was discouraged.