HPE OneView

Where is the Automatic Discovery in HP OneView

SOLVED
Go to solution
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Where is the Automatic Discovery in HP OneView

If you have supported C7000 BladeSystem enclosures, you only need to provide the IP Address of one of the OA's, and use the Add-HPOVEnclosure.  Discovery of all components within the Enclosure will happen automatically.  You will need a list of IP's or FQDN's for your supported DL servers.  You only have to do this once.

Oneview 3 will not address this level of system discovery, and any expectations in the furture for this in Oneview was discouraged.

While HPE OneView 3.00 will not add this feature, I do not agree with whomever told you that a UI element will not be added to the OneView product.  It currently is on out backlog, and we are looking to prioritize it with a future release.  As always, I cannot comment on unreleased versions or timelines in a public forum.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Cottoc
Advisor

Might I add - The HP iLO PowerShell module offers a 'Find-HPiLO' cmdlet that you can point to a subnet. It will then ping each address in the range you supplied and return information. I have found this useful when needing to determine the addresses of all of my iLOs on a specific subnet. The results of this query can easily be dumped into a CSV that could be manipulated to and used to add machines into OneView.

EDITI would only leverage this for non blades to be added to OneView - For Blades I would do as Chris has said and add enclosure which will discover all components/blades within that enclosure.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/server-software/product-detail.html?oid=5440657

An example from the User Guide - 

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5440657&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03958206

Find-HPiLO 192.168.1.1-11
Warning : It might take a while to search all the iLOs if the input
is a very large range. Use Verbose for more information.

IP : 192.168.1.2
SPN : ProLiant DL120 G7
FWRI : 1.28
PN : Integrated Lights-Out 3 (iLO 3)
HOSTNAME : ilohostv8.company.net
SerialNumber: 6CU4100JM1
UUID : 30313436-3631-4336-5534-3130304A4D31

IP : 192.168.1.4
SPN : ProLiant MicroServer Gen8
FWRI : 1.20
PN : Integrated Lights-Out 4 (iLO 4)
HOSTNAME : fbtilodns.company.net
UUID: 30313436-3631-4336-5534-3130304A4D31

IP : 192.168.1.10
SPN : ProLiant DL360p Gen8
FWRI : 1.40
PN : Integrated Lights-Out 4 (iLO 4)
HOSTNAME : ilohostbc.company.net
UUID : 30313436-3631-4336-5534-3130304A4D31

Thanks!

-Cottoc

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

As @Cottoc stated, you could use the Find-HPiLO Cmdlet to then itterate through each IP Address as such:

$Tasks = Find-HPiLO | % { Add-HPOVServer $_.IP -Username Administrator -Password MyPassword -LicenseIntent HPOneView }

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

jpent

Hi I am new to scripting and I am currently deploying HP ONEVIEW in my company. it would be really beneficial to automate the discovery process directly into HP ONEVIew, based on your previous threads, and great input by the way to all who contributed.  I would like to confirm the following.

* Automate the inclusion of new servers (Proliant DLs) and/or Chassis/blades.

Firstly, I understand using an IP subnet in a script will capture the required ILO/OA details of the servers, etc., But from where do I need to run these CMDLETs ( I mean, directly on the Appliance, and if so, will it be visiable on HP Oneview.

Secondly, can this CMDLETs be transformed into a scheduled task ?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks.