HPE OneView
1748285 Members
3678 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Which route is easier Update old Oneview appliance or deploy new and migrate?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Which route is easier Update old Oneview appliance or deploy new and migrate?

Hi.
We have kind of ignored our Oneview appliance for a long time and now it's pretty old (4.10.05) and now it's time to upgrade or Migrate to a new installed Oneviwe appliance. We use the SCOM integration som that has to be considered aswell.

From what i have read i need to do 5 upgrades to the existing oneview appliance (Start on 4.1.05 -> upgrade 4.20.03 -> upgrade 5.20.01 -> upgrade 5.4 -> Upgrade 6.00.01 -> upgrade 6.3) and then install the latest HPE oneview for system center SCOM integration on the SCOM servers.

Or should I deploy a new 6.3 Oneview configure that to match the old one. but with a new name and IP. And then move servers a few at the time (We have about 130 servers in oneview) and then upgrade SCOM integration and point that to the new appliance..

The upgrade path i'm fairly sure will work if no complications arise when upgrading som many steps. The new appliance and migrate should work but would be a lot of work as well.

We only use Oneview for monitoring so no Licences for Oneview are used.
Which route would you choose and why?
Thanks.

Best Regards
//Cederberg

5 REPLIES 5
ManBha
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Which route is easier Update old Oneview appliance or deploy new and migrate?

Hello,

We recommend to upgrade the appliance by following the upgrade path as this is a working appliance.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00117617en_us

Migrating to a new appliance will be time consuming and complete configuration of 130 servers is required from scratch.

Note: Please do take the backup of the appliance to avoid any issues.

Thanks.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Replacing the appliance is only advised when there is a critical issue with the original and it cannot be recovered. It is advised to update the appliance.  However, if you are simply using OneView to monitor your servers, where they are licensed with the OneView Standard license, then you could replace the appliance with a new one.  There wouldn't be any downtime for that operation.  There would be when you are actively managing the servers, with the OneView Advanced license type.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi @ManBha .

Thanks for your reply
I have a question regarding the link you provided. We are starting on version 4.10.5 and according to the matrix in the link I can only upgrade to 4.20.02. According to this link i should be able to upgrade to 4.20.03 instead and avoid having to use the preupgrade iso.
https://myenterpriselicense.hpe.com/cwp-ui/free-software/Z7550-63180#Whats_New_in_HPE_OneView_4.20.3
"This patch can be applied to any previous HPE OneView 4.10.03 or later release. Please note that the PreUpgrade bin file is no longer needed."
So i'm guessing the matrix is not taking this link into consideration?
Best regards
//Cederberg

Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi @ChrisLynch 
Thanks for your Reply.
So if I was to just deploy a new appliance with the latest version. After configuring it to work. What would be the steps to "migrate" to the new appliance?
I'm guessing i would just need to delete the hardware in the old appliance and add it in the new appliance?

Best regards
//Cederberg

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

It would require you to recreate all resources on the appliance.  So, you would have to remove the physical hardware first, then add it to the other appliance.  Any security settings you had on one appliance would need to be recreated on the other.  Which is why we advise you update the appliance in place, instead of attempting any manual "migrations".

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo