1752565 Members
5726 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Why vLCM does not work with HPEoneview

baber2
Visitor

Why vLCM does not work with HPEoneview

I have installed latest ov4vc and hpeoneview and using vsphere 7.0.2 now. My cluster contains 3 HPE DL580 G10.  I want just apply ILO5 firmware that reside in the cluster for all hosts so I did follow steps :

At the first step I had to create custom image and add latest ILO5 firmware to it. So

run hpsum.bat file from SPP dvd and it runs SUM 8.8 . As I wanted just apply latest ILO5 firmware just select os= vmware vsphere7 , server model = DL580 G10 and component = software - recommendation and make it boot .

After create custom iso I upload it in the oneview and also upload latest ILO firmware ilo5_263.fwpkg and finally create custom baseline with add hotfix to isofile . but now this iso file does not work in vLCM and show this error :

A general system error occurred: Cannot find hardware support package from depot or hardware support manager.
15 REPLIES 15
feigenL
Respected Contributor

take a look at this thread, they posted some good ideas about the issue

https://community.hpe.com/t5/HPE-OneView/Does-OneView-and-VLCM-actually-work/td-p/7157308

Luis Feigenblatt
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Unfortunately, the OneView vLCM provider does not support custom baselines today.  When SUM creates the custom baseline, it does not modify the internal required metadata that vLCM uses, nor does it include that content today.  So, you will either need to:

• Wait for an SPP to be released that supports the iLO firmware version you intend to install.
  • Use Smart Update Manager (SUM) remotely to deploy the firmware to the target iLO's.
  • Script the installation.
  • Create the custom baseline and use OneView to deploy it natively.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

baber1
Regular Advisor

1- Is that your mean vLCM just can apply SPP that released by HPE while using HPE oneview?

2- Is that your mean I cannot update only ILO5 firmwares with vLCM when using HPEone view ?

3- Can ILO amplifier help to apply custom baseline on ESXi hosts (HPE servers) 

I want just apply ILO5 firmware for all hosts and later just apply HPE BIOS update 

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

1- Is that your mean vLCM just can apply SPP that released by HPE while using HPE oneview?

This isn't a restriction by OneView, rather vLCM requirements from vendors.

2- Is that your mean I cannot update only ILO5 firmwares with vLCM when using HPEone view ?

By the very nature of the requirements, yes. The same restrictions would exist for iLO Amp.

3- Can ILO amplifier help to apply custom baseline on ESXi hosts (HPE servers) 

No, as the same restrictions would apply.

I want just apply ILO5 firmware for all hosts and later just apply HPE BIOS update 

This really isn't the best practice for firmware management.  Rather, the entire server update should be applied.  While there are reasons to update iLO firmware (e.g. security vulnerability, bug fix, etc.), baselines are meant to be used by customers as a tested recipe in order to install the latest needed features and bug fixes.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

baber1
Regular Advisor

1- Is that your means this restriction relate to VMware ?

2- Did HPE report it to VMware for solve ?

3- Most of time SPP will release every 3-4 months but between this period HPE release updates for ILO and Bios . So we have to wait and apply updates every 3 months.

4- Is that possible apply cutom baseline on all hosts via HPEoneview ? For example I want update just ILO firmware for 10 HPE servers is that possible just apply ILO5 firmware ?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

As I stated, we do not support custom SPP's when deploying that from vLCM.  This isn't a VMware problem to solve.  If you simply need to deploy just iLO firmware, please use one of the other methods provided.  We do not recommend simply deploying iLO firmware by itself (the same is true of any other component), as you spend more time just deploying individual component rather than updating the entire server to a current SPP.

Individual components are provided to immediately address specific situations, like security vulnerabilities.  We do not discourage customers from deploying individual components for those reasons.  However, routine system maintenance should really be treated as a whole solution, rather than individual components, as to reduce the overhead of maintaining them individually.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

baber1
Regular Advisor

But Imagine for security reason we have to do ILO5 firmware or BIOS update . What is the solution here to apply for more yhan 10 HPE servers ?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I provided those options above.

• Wait for an SPP to be released that supports the iLO firmware version you intend to install.
  • Use Smart Update Manager (SUM) remotely to deploy the firmware to the target iLO's.
  • Script the installation.
  • Create the custom baseline and use OneView to deploy it natively.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

baber1
Regular Advisor

I prefer use last solution for update ILO5 firmware on all HPE servers with ESXi and apply by oneview . I read that doc to create custom base line :

1-  select baseline and then just select recommend updates and components type = software
(Actually I just want to create a custom SPP with minimum size and then add the latest ILO5- firmware to it .I don't want to download latest SPP . I want create just a baseline with minimum size)
2- select x86 , x64 , operating system= VMware vsphere 7.0 and server model = DL580 G10
and click on create custom ISO baseline

3- Finally update this custom ISO baseline and latest ILO5 firmware (ilo5_263.fwpkg) in hpeoneview and create custom baseline here ?

Are my above steps correct ?