New Discussion юеВ

iLO4 firmware upgrade in HPE OneView Managed System

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tridibesh
Occasional Visitor

iLO4 firmware upgrade in HPE OneView Managed System

Hi,

I am performing iLO4 firmware upgrade into 2.40 on Gen8 and Gen9 Servers (both BL & DL). While doing so, I found few servers are there which are managed by OneView. While accessing the iLO for firmware upgrade I am getting below message on login screen:-

"Changes made into iLO locally will be out of Sync with the Centralized settings and could effect the behavior of the remote management system"

So now my question is can I ignore the message and flash the iLO via web browser using the bin file or I need to flash it via OneView server to keep the changes in sync? If I need to flash it via OneView then how to do that? I am totally new to OneView and never used it (even did not see the console).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: iLO4 firmware upgrade in HPE OneView Managed System

I'll answer your questions individually.

So now my question is can I ignore the message and flash the iLO via the web browser using the bin file or I need to flash it via OneView server to keep the cahnges in sync?

If all you are going to do is upgrade the iLO firmware, then you can safely ignore the message.  Essentially, OneView writes a number of configuration items to an iLO:

• NTP Server
  • SNMP trap and community
  • Creates either an _HPOneViewAdmin or _HPOneViewMonitor account, depending if you added the server or enclosure as Managed or Monitored.

If I need to flash it via OneView then how to do that?

You will need to create a custom SPP or Baseline using HPSUM, and make sure that the following components are the only ones:

•  ISO must be bootable
  • iLO3 and 4 firmware both must be present, RHEL 6 or 7
  • Onboard Administrator firmware, RHEL 6 or 7

Once the baseline ISO has been created, you can upload it to the appliance, and then assign to your Server Profile template.  If your appliance is 1.20 or older, your server much be powered off in order for that change to be made.  If your appliance is 2.0 or greater, and you have the HP Smart Update Tools installed, you can do that while the server is online.  Just remember that HPSUT is configured for Fully Automated, which will reboot your server if you include other components within your Baseline that require the server to be rebooted.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Tridibesh
Occasional Visitor

Re: iLO4 firmware upgrade in HPE OneView Managed System

Thanks for the response. As of now my intention is to only upgrade the iLO4 firmware version from 2.30 to 2.40. So I will go ahead and upgrade the iLO via web browser.

For the SPP creation part I need to do some study on that, as I never work on this thing and have no idea how to create it.