HPE OneView
1753310 Members
6362 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: is separate instance of BNA (separate from production BNA instance ) a good idea?

martin2176
Advisor

is separate instance of BNA (separate from production BNA instance ) a good idea?

trying to find out if OV team has any recommendation on this:

For OV brocade integration, is it a better idea to have a separate BNA instance just for oneview and not use the same BNA instance we use in production .

Does HP have any recommendation against  this ?

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: is separate instance of BNA (separate from production BNA instance ) a good idea?

We do not require a seperate instance of Brocade SAN Network Advisor.  If you wish HPE OneView to match your Alias and Zone policy, you will need to edit the Managed SAN in HPE OneView to then match the policies you wish.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

martin2176
Advisor

Chris, I understand OV does not need a seperate BNA instance. My Question was " would a separate instance of BNA work or is supported"

The rationale for a separate instance is

a) we can leave the OV BNA instance alone and do all the manual provisioning work from the other BNA instance

b) we can reboot production instance or OV instance without affection each other

c) we can upgrade & maintain version levels separately 

thanks

Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Isnt the question Does Brocade support two different BNA instances managing the same switches?

If it does, why? - those are your benefits

If it doesnt - thats your answer.

martin2176
Advisor

agreed.

Wasnt able to find that answer from Brocade without an official support ticket. BNA user manual doesnt clearly articulate this.

Thought, OV guys would have an answer based on what is supported and what is not from Brocade.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

We do not maintain what is and what isn't supported by Brocade SAN Network Advisor.  If you want to maintain two different instances of BNA, and it is supported that two instances can support the same managed switches, then there is your answer.  OneView does not require its own seperate instance.  It just needs BNA installed with the SMI-S Agent.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo