5418 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: one time boot from network in oneview

Jundi
Advisor

one time boot from network in oneview

Hello, 

As we are doing mass installation of servers and using vmware autodeploy for automated installation is there any possibility to configure the server from one view to boot from network at the next power on only ?

the current situation is that we have to wait and keep looking at every server console and wait for thepress f12 to boot from network which is very much time consuming ?

Many Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

You can set the Boot Order in the Server Profile to be PXE first, which would accomplish what you are asking for.  All ProLiants will default to PXE boot if no local bootable disk is found.  However, adjust the Boot Order if you needto boot via PXE.  This is what we do to support Insight Control Server Provisioning or Server Automation.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Jundi
Advisor

My environment is statefull, meaning i just need to boot via PXE for the first time (one time) which will install the ESX in the SD card and then have it boot normally.

I don't want to change the boot order and shut down and wait for it to come back, it's very time consuming for 500 servers

Any idea ? :)

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

All ProLiant servers will PXE boot, as that is the last boot capable device in the Boot Order, when no other bootable devices are found during POST.  So, if you only need to install ESXi once via a custom PXE process, there isn't anything you need to do, other than to make sure the Connection(s) that map to FlexNIC A are your PXE boot network(s).

If you will re-provision your servers by controlling the PXE boot images based on server MAC address, then you need to adjust the boot order in your Server Profiles so PXE is first, as I described in my first reply.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo