1752805 Members
5287 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: stuck applying server profile

scuiatss
Occasional Contributor

stuck applying server profile

on our freshly installed OneView 3.10, our deployment will get stuck deploying server profiles..  it goes thru, applies bios settings and shuts off the server and stays at 'applying boot mode settings' for hours until it finally gives up.

It looks to have applied the bios settings, also applies the SPP firmware to the DL 380 Gen9, but thats it..

When it gives it, it has this error..  Odd because it does boot off the SPP as it applies the FW ok, and wouldnt be a block issue as it works prior..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   thanks

Ensure that the SPP selected is valid and bootable. Also check if the iLO has network connectivity and the virtual media port has not been blocked by a firewall. Cold boot the server, enter the ROM-Based Setup Utility by selecting F9 at the appropriate time during POST, and ensure that the USB Controls are enabled and restore to default system settings. Once the server is booted, power it off and retry the operation. Alternatively reset the iLO. If the problem persists, contact your authorized support representative and provide them with a support dump.

10 REPLIES 10
sdmitriev1
Valued Contributor

Try to reset BIOS settings to default before applyng OV profile  

Treybizzle
Occasional Advisor

I just had this issue with the latest 5.00.00.02 OneView appliance and found that the reason is because my iLO License is standard.. 

Upgrade to iLO Advanced and that should fix it up.. You can see what type of license you have by looking on the main info page in iLO. $$$$ 

Daniel-L
Advisor

I'm also stuck with this issue running OneView 5.00.00.02 on all our BL460c Gen8 blades. It still seems to be OK with older G7 systems. HPE OneView license without iLO Advanced is used for all blades.

I can't find any hint in the release notes or compability matrix that iLO Advanced would be needed and this would definitly be a breaking update.

@Treybizzle : What kind of server hardware was affected in your environment? Did you get any official feedback on this from HPE?

Daniel-L
Advisor

Got the following from HPE support:

"It seems that the mechanism of mounting the SPP has been changed to use Scripted virtual media, which is not supported by the Standard Blade license https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05269613
The fix for this behavior is expected in 5.00.01 which has no planned release date.
Till then, the customer can restore from backup on previous version."
Daniel-L
Advisor

HPE just released an update to 5.00.01-0410269. I can confirm that this fixes the issue with applying server profiles (with BIOS or FW settings) and the standard blade license.

It seems that this version introduced new "challenges", at least in our test environment.

Treybizzle
Occasional Advisor

I am using a BL460c Server and have OneView Upgraded to v5.00.00.02 and still unable to apply the server profile.. what did you do to fix this? 

Treybizzle
Occasional Advisor

Ahh I see the new update from 5.00.00.02-0404934 to 5.00.01... phew I will update and then try again. 

Thanks for the tip!

Daniel-L
Advisor

@Treybizzle Would like to hear from you if face any new issues after the update. I'm having issues with some basic configuration settings for the c7000 enclosures (setting NTP source). Working since weeks on that with HPE support.

Treybizzle
Occasional Advisor

Hmmm I see, I don't believe we use NTP conifiguration in our OneView.. can you give more details as to what the problem is? 

Time and Locale

Actions
    1. Current date/time 
      2/20/20 8:31:34 am (UTC -0500)
    2. Network time server 
      not configured
    3. Locale 
      English (United States)

I was able to apply the server profile now that I'm running the updated version of OneView.  woohoo!