New Discussion

Query: VMware vVVOL & RC

SOLVED
Go to solution
bahamrz
Occasional Advisor

VMware vVVOL & RC

Hello Primera Community, 

we have 2 Primera A630 Arrays we are using VMware VVols to gain the Better Performance, now we need to setup Remote Copy between the arrays, 

the question is vvol support is not mentioned in any guide neither on SPOCK, so is it supported? or do we need to look at other replication/reverting back to normal virtual volumes?

-ty in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: VMware vVVOL & RC

Hello @bahamrz,

In Primera, replication will be on Virtual Volume level.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

bahamrz
Occasional Advisor

hi @sbhat09 

i am not talking about the regular Virtual Volumes, i'm talking about VMware vVOLS 

Document - VMware vVols with HPE Primera Storage | HPE Support

thos are not regular virtual volumes as i cannot take snapshots on them from primera.

all of the control is done via VMware vCenter.

support_s
System Recommended

Query: VMware vVVOL & RC

System recommended content:

1. HPE OneView for VMware vCenter 11.0 Installation Guide | HPE OneView for VMware vCenter compatibility matrix

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @bahamrz,

VMware VVol-type virtual volumes are allowed in remote-copy groups, but should be administered only by
the VMware administrator.

You can configure them through VMware SRM. The SRM works hand in hand with Primera remote copy. replication happens via Primera remote copy links. But orchestrated by VMware. 

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

bahamrz
Occasional Advisor

@sbhat09much appreciated,

do you happen to know if I can find any implementation or requirements guide? thanks.

sbhat09
HPE Pro

@bahamrz, you are most welcome.!

I think this document should be good for you - https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00099136enw

Some details from the 3PAR Remote Copy guide are handy as well - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03618143

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo