New Discussion

Re: Weird "Application Sets"

SOLVED
Go to solution
apol
Frequent Advisor

Weird "Application Sets"

Hi,

does anybody understand the difference between Application Sets and good old Volume Sets?

There aren't any "RCP_xxx"-Application Sets, which is excellent. IntelligentQoS, the Primera and Alletra GUI - all work with Application Sets. But on the cli, WSAPI, etc., Application Sets don't exist at all.

Can Appliaction- and Volume Sets coexist? Can I use IntelligentQoS on Volume Sets? What's about all that? Is it the same, and app sets are just vv sets with RCP_ stuff hidden?

There are more and more new (coming in with every new OS release) cool and fancy ideas, that we in our +25 3PARs/Primeras/Alletras environment simply can't use, because there is no proper documentation for it. And no, one or two sentences in a "UI User Guide" is NOT documentation!

1 REPLY 1
sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Weird "Application Sets"

Hello @apol,

Thanks for bringing such a good topic for discussion.

The difference between them is:
App volume sets are grouping of volumes based on the OS/FileSystem they will be exported to.
Volume sets are grouping of volumes based just by user preference.

Yes. Application sets and Volume sets can co-exist. The Primera system will not say no if a volume is a member of An App volume set and volume set at the same time.

Yes. You can use IntelligentQoS on Volume sets and App Volume set both. I agree that App volume sets are identical to volume sets except the difference of 'basis of grouping'.

For CLI, API purposes you can use the same syntaxes that you find in CLI guide for volume sets. But replace 'vvset' with 'appset'.

Ex:
showvvset -> showappset
createvvset -> createappset
removevvset -> removeappset
setvvset -> setappset

However, this is not documented anywhere like user guides, CLI guides etc.

I will try to bring it to the notice of the right people/Team.

Anyway, thanks for raising this concern.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo