1751921 Members
4845 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

HP P212/256 Smart Array Controller on IBM x3550 M3 Server

TrevColeCGI
Occasional Advisor

HP P212/256 Smart Array Controller on IBM x3550 M3 Server

I have a HP P212/256 Smart Array Controller that I'm using on an IBM X3550 M3 Server.

The server boots fine into VMWare ESXi without the card attached but once I attach the card  and boot the server I simply get a blank black screen and the POST process isn't even run.

Any idea what the issue could be?  Is it a faulty card or simply does not work in IBM kit?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Trevor Cole

11 REPLIES 11
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: HP P212/256 Smart Array Controller on IBM x3550 M3 Server

Reseat the card and check if the issue is resolved. If the issue persists, try installing in a different slot on the system board. If the issue persists, remove the cache module and check if the issue is resolved. If the issue persists, and a spare card is available, swap it to isolate between the card and the slot on the system board. Ensure that  the slot works or is compatible to the bus width (bandwidth such as x8 or x4 speed) and connector type compatibility (such as connector matching the slot, both physically and electrically).

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

TrevColeCGI
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Vijay,

We sent the card back and have now received a replacement, however this card also doesn't work on the server.  I've also tried it on another server of the same spec without any luck.

When I boot the server with the card installed I get a white IBM screen coming up and it states that it is 'Initializing Disks and Adapters', then I get a screen that says something like 'HP P212 Smart Controller..... Initializing' at the top and this stays for a about 10 seconds, then the screen goes black and nothing happens.  I think at this stage we should be going back to the IBM boot screen with the BIOS options selectable and then into VMWare ESXi boot up.

I'm now wondering if this card is compatible with the IBM Server?

However, hands up, I am not an infrastructure engineer, so no idea how to work this out (pin settings, bandwidths etc.), so any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Trevor Cole

TVVJ
HPE Pro

The message that shows the card information during POST indicates that it has been detected. Next step would be to configure a disk array and create logical drives.

When the card initializes during POST, check for message that gives an option to configure ORCA. Usually, in any HP Server, the key to press is F8, check for this message and press the key to run the Option ROM Configuration for Arrays Utility. This configuration window shows detected hard drives and possible RAID levels that are configurable given the number of drives installed and any installed cache module installed.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

TrevColeCGI
Occasional Advisor

Although it would appear that the card is detected I'm unable to get to the BIOS settings as the server refuses to move onto the IBM BIOS screen, it just sits there with a blank screen.

So I'm unable to make any changes there and that is the main issue.

Regards,

Trevor Cole

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Remove the cache module and check if the server POSTs. If not ensure that the card is detected. Ensure that the connector on the system board is x8 5G  PCIe 2.0 compliant slot.

Try the card in a known working slot to isolate between the card and the slot.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

游离世间哥最帅
Super Advisor

very useful. thanks for share
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Just a guess, sounds like the Smart Array ROM and the server ROM might be fighting for the same address space.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
TrevColeCGI
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vance,

Any idea how I would confirm this is what is happening?

I'm not a server expert, just allocated the task of getting this working along with our Tape Drive.

Regards,

Trevor

TrevColeCGI
Occasional Advisor

The IBM x3550 M3 server documentation states the following about the expansion slots;

I/O expansion options

The server supports up to two PCI Express slots with different riser cards installed into two riser sockets on the system planar (one riser socket supports installation of one riser card). The slot form factors are as follows:

• Slot 1: Low-profile
  • Slot 2: Full-height, half-length

Each slot is implemented using a riser card. Standard models have two riser cards installed, which provide a total of two PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (one slot per riser card). You can replace each standard riser with a riser card with one PCI-X 64-bit/133 MHz slot (or configure this riser card instead of the standard riser using a special bid or configure-to-order):

The following table lists the PCI riser card options.

Table 10. PCI riser card options

Part         number Feature      code Description Maximum                                                                         supported

46M1070  5076                               IBM System x3550 M3 PCI-Express (1x16) Riser Card                              2*

46M1071  5077                               IBM System x3550 M3 PCI-X Riser Card                                                        2

(one PCI-X 1.0a 64-bit 133 MHz slot)

* Two 1x16 riser cards are installed in standard models

The server has an additional PCI Express slot dedicated to the RAID controller.

Are these slots compatible with the controller card, which one should I be using?

Sorry for the unqualified questions, but as stated I'm not a server expert.

Regards,

Trevor