1752677 Members
5449 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

PCI-E SSD and Raid

jackb2reasd
Occasional Contributor

PCI-E SSD and Raid

I have seen the new PCI-E storage adapters from HP at up to 6+TB.

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/servers/accelerators/pip.specifications.hpe-2-0tb-nvme-mixed-use-hh-hl-pcie-workload-accelerator.7876070.html

Do these new PCI-E HDs support traditional RAID?
Is there a need for a controller or will gen 10 proliant PCI-E x8 ports support raid on those ports?
Is raid even required with these PCI-E storage drives?

I have to spec out 3 high IO servers for an indexing software. I am thinking of using these instead of traditional SSD.

What are the downsides or disadvantages to using a few of these PCI-E cards instead of for example 20x300gb in raid 1?

1 REPLY 1
jackb2reasd
Occasional Contributor

Re: PCI-E SSD and Raid

I have done a bit more research on this topic. It appears there are two options. The first one is software raid, one suggestion was to use windows 2012 storage spaces. Could be done if c:\ drive was put on a sperate ssd raid 1. Other option is to forgo raid and just "expect it not to fail any time soon" which is the more common opinion on this topic. I guess we could rely on backups and simply rebuild the index if there was a problem.

Unforunately it is not me that needs to be convinced, if the business is so used to raid as the standard option in disk redundancy they might not be too keen on going with a relatively new disk technology that doesn't have raid. I guess that is the challenge of myself to convince them that it is worth doing.

It looks like they might come with a standard 3 year warranty.

Any comments on Raid please add, thanks.