108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartArray P800 controller & MSA 50

MasterBlaster
Occasional Advisor

SmartArray P800 controller & MSA 50

Hi all,

Here's a funny for you to ponder.

One of our remote sites had some power issues which caused some of our servers to drop power supplies (ups on one, mains on the other) .This also included a couple of MSA50's. These dropped off their servers which caused a lose of service to the site.

When the onsite engineer came in the morning,  he rebooted the servers concerned after having made sure the MSA50's were back up. This still didn't resolve the issue. He states that he had to reenable the P800 controllers and do another set of reboots which fixed the problem.

1. Has anyone come across this type of problem before ? and does anyone have an explanation of what happened.

I can see in the logs (windows and hp) the systems losing power redundancy  and the disk controller receiving errors ( due to the loss of the shelf ?)

Any idea's and thoughts welcomed.

JC

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey,

"re-enable the P800" controllers? What does that mean?
Any errors registered in the POST? Can be seen in the ILO/IML log.
MasterBlaster
Occasional Advisor

Hi Johan,

Thx for coming back.

I have to wait for the engineer to come back off leave before I can answer that  one. Looked in the event logs (windows & HP), both show problems with the power supply and problems with the MSA 50's disks going offline. He should be back in the next day or so so I should have an explanation of what he did to recover.

regards

JC

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

If a Smart Array controller, suffer from a catastrophic disk failure, it will disable the affected logical drives immediatly.

They may need to be renabled manually.

You can do this by rebooting the server/smart array, or even do it on-line using the ACU.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo