1753381 Members
5693 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE HC-380 and Update Manager

vieirar
Occasional Advisor

HPE HC-380 and Update Manager

Hi I am fairly new to the HC-380 solution and was wondering how to install our vMware Upates using Update Manager. Well the real question is how is the VSA's handled  as the have RDMs and are housing the VMs. If there is any documentation on running Update Manager updates and the HC-380 please let me know.

5 REPLIES 5
vieirar
Occasional Advisor

Re: HPE HC-380 and Update Manager

So I know that I can remidiate each seperatly and assume that is what I will want to do. Since the VSA cannot be migrated I assume I will need to manually do a clean shutdown of each VSA prior to remediating them. Again any documentation or step proceedures would be greatly appreciated to alleviate the questioning.

cmz
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I'm also new in the HPE HC380 world but as far as I know we are not supposed to use the VMware Update Manager.. All the updates are done with a global patch for all the HP HC380 solution... When we firstly installed our HC380 infrastructure we did install the update manager and perform some updates and the technical engineer from HPE requested us to perform a hard reset of everything because that process was unsupported...

I would greatly appreciate to have an official statement from HPE about that too =)

Best regards,

M@tt

vieirar
Occasional Advisor

I agree I would love to know what the official stance on this is. As when I was working with the roll-out team from HPE they stated Patches was fine and a good idea but never elaborated on it. When the upgraded my system to the latest a month after roll-out I noticed this time around it came installed with Update Manager. However, there is no documentation on how to or best practice for performing them. I do know we are not to UPGRADE the esxi systems but only do patched. I also know there are documentation on vmware recipe books and hardware firmwire to adhere to. That said a formal stance and document on doing these would be great. I have always enjoyed using Update Manager to keep my systems protected from bugs and security wholes.

cmz
Occasional Advisor

Maybe @Diana_Z can help us with this question ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

M@tt

Alan_Hymes
HPE Pro

There is a software update package along with a process you need to use.  If you go to the standard "Driver and Software" section of "HPE Hyper Converged 380 Cluster Appliance" there is a download section for "Recovery" media.  In that section there is "Upgrade files for HPE Hyper Converged 380 for vSphere".

If you the "Aquire Software" there is a webpage that shows you everything that is getting updated along with a link to the specific "HPE Hyper Converged 380 Upgrade Guide".  I will post the link itself here:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c05335553

This guide gives you everything you need to know about how and what is being updated.

Alan Hymes

Alan Hymes

Accept or Kudo