108786 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Adding Nodes to an existing federation

SOLVED
Go to solution
J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Adding Nodes to an existing federation

Hello, I've plan to add 2 nodes to an existing federation of a 4 nodes stretched cluster.

For some reason I can't upgrade now the existing nodes to the same version of the new that I will receive as I believe that the 2 new nodes should be delivered in a higher simplivity version than the existing federation architecture (3.7.7). Should I use the deployement manager previously used for the initial installation or the new one that should be able to work ?

In any case (old or new deployement manager) I guess I will have to reset the 2 new nodes to downgrade the simplivity version to the same level of the existing node ? Using the old deployement manager shoud not downgrade the new node, I must perform a reset, am I right ?

Best regards,

Jean-Philippe

4 REPLIES 4
BenH10
Advisor
Solution

Re: Adding Nodes to an existing federation

You are correct, the nodes will ship with 3.7.10. If you would like to join them to a 3.7.7 federation, you will have to factory reset the nodes to 3.7.7 with the included ".img" in the 3.7.7 files. I recommend contacting support and getting your federation up to 3.7.10 before the new nodes arrive. Besides getting more features, 3.7.10 fixes a major vulnerability found in previous software releases. 

If you stick with 3.7.7, you will have to use all 3.7.7 version of SimpliVity software; Arbiter, Deployment Manager, vCenter plugin and compatibile versions of vSphere products and firmwares. Please consult the interop guides on what version are compatible. 

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Hi Ben,

thanks for your answer, for sure the whole federation should be updated, I'm just facing a setback.

The interop matrix is ok in our actual situation.

Regards

BenH10
Advisor

One of the bigger reasons I found to upgrade to even 3.7.8 or 3.7.9, is that upgrading the OVC's can be done at the cluster level. I have been running our federation at two different levels for a couple weeks now so I can do more testing before rolling out to our production environment. 

AnkiN
Valued Contributor

@J-Philippe  Yes you are correct. It would be great if you upgrade the current federation to 3.7.10 or 3.7.9.

This will help in overcoming the vulnerabilities of 3.7.7. Also doing a factory rest of new node is not recommended because supplied firmwares with new nodes are latest which might be incompatible with OVC Release 3.7.7