New Discussion юеВ

Adding older Gen10 simplivity nodes

SOLVED
Go to solution
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Adding older Gen10 simplivity nodes

Hi

What are the implications of mixing Simplivity nodes that have different capcity within the same cluster. These are the same generation (Gen10) but slightly older with smaller internal disks. Capacity isn't an issue wihtin the cluster so I'm really just adding these to increase availability (more cluster nodes) and increasing compute - and these hosts are now surplus to requirements so wanted to put them to good use. I'm running 4.0.1 on the OVCs within the cluster I plan to place these hosts into.

Will the federation allow these to be added and should I expect any alerts\alarms if I do choose to add them?

kind regards

3 REPLIES 3
Rajini_Saini
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Adding older Gen10 simplivity nodes

Hi @jlangmead 

Best practices recommend that all nodes in the cluster are as similar in the capacity as possible.

You may also refer https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00015996enw

Mixing of configurations is allowed with certain caveats:

тАвMixing of processor generations requires configuring the cluster to support migration between processor generations. For VMware clusters, this means enabling Enhanced VMotion Compatibility (EVC) to the lowest common processor before adding newer processors. Virtual machines on this cluster will not be able to utilize processor features above this level.

тАвMixing different drive configurations within-cluster results in unbalanced I/O performance.

тАвAll HPE SimpliVity hosts in the cluster should be a similar size class (all small, all medium, all large, etc.).For the best experience and performance, HPE recommends that all members of a cluster be of a similar configuration.

regards,
Rajini Saini

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @jlangmead,

Is your query on this topic resolved? Let us know if you required further assistance.  

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

yes - many thanks