108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Backup VMs to 3rd party appliance

NZamp
Valued Contributor

Backup VMs to 3rd party appliance

Helo guys,

hope you´re all doing well.

I have a question concerning backing up SimpliVity backups to a Rubrik Appliance. 

The remote offices are storing the SimpliVity backups in the main office and the customer wants to transfer those backups to a Rubrik appliance. I know that in the old SimpliVity times there was a script that restored the backups and then the 3rd party applaince was able to save the virtual machines. Is this still the the procedure? If it´s so could you please provide the script.

The customer system is running on version 4.0.1. 

Best regards,

Nick

3 REPLIES 3
LiamP
HPE Pro

Re: Backup VMs to 3rd party appliance

The only method to do this is using StoreOnce. in terms of your actual ask i.e.  the customer wants to transfer those backups to a Rubrik appliance.

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

NZamp
Valued Contributor

Hello Liam,

thanks for the answer. I know that Store Once would be the best solution but does not have it. My idea was to restore the backup of a virt. machine, let the appliance or backup program backup the virtual machine and delete it afterwards. We had done this with veeam some time ago. We used a skript that was provided by SimpliVity and i was wondering if this still exists.

Cheers,

Nick

LiamP
HPE Pro

Hi Nick,

Veeam (along with other 3rd party backups) uses the VMware layer to save backups. So transferring backups already on SimpliVity is not possible, due to unique SimplIVity filesystem.

However, as you meantioned, restoring backups so that they are presented in VMware, will allow this to happen.

I am not aware of a script available now that automates this process.

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo