HPE SimpliVity
1753261 Members
5008 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Query: Can't Manager SimpliVity via vSphere Client - Not a Plug-in Issue (maybe)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Laffeyd
Occasional Contributor

Can't Manager SimpliVity via vSphere Client - Not a Plug-in Issue (maybe)

Hi all, 

SimpliVity isn't displaying any actions for VMs and in the menu, under HPE SimpliVity Home it has the error: 

'HPE SimpliVity Plug-in cannot complete the task because it cannot contact the Virtual Controller'

There is a bug with my current plug-in version, 17.25.0, and version 17.25.2 should resolve it. Our Support has expired and we don't have the budget to renew, so I can't try the update. However, it was working fine until I broke it. So, I don't think the plug-in is the issue. 

Between when it was working and noticing it no longer was (about a week), I had made the following changes:

1 - I updated the root password for one of the hosts. (I updated the password on both OVC’s at the same time and according to the logs, this isn’t the issue). I updated all the passwords on both OVC’s again anyway.

2 – It’s a 2 node cluster and both hosts were added by IP. I removed them from inventory and re-joined using their FQDN. I’ve since seen an article which recommends doing this via the Deployment Manager. I did it via the vSphere client.

Troubleshooting steps:

Consoled to both OVC's (apparently this works for some)

Swapped OVC’s

Rebooted vCenter and restarted management on both hosts.

Ran SimpliVity Deployment Manager, it doesn't pick up that there's an existing Federation. According to the setup videos, it should. Ran the command svt-federation-show, on the OVCs, and it shows the federation still exists. Further cmds shows the backup policy is working.

Uninstalled and re-installed the client plug-in (HPE-SimpliVity-Plug-in-for-vSphere-Client-linux-x64-17.25.0-psi18).

Any suggestions for what else I should try please?

I’m a little apprehensive about running through the Deployment Manager, as I haven’t used it before and I might not have all the answers around the current config. Worth trying?

Cheers,
Dave

4 REPLIES 4
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Can't Manager SimpliVity via vSphere Client - Not a Plug-in Issue (maybe)

System recommended content:

1. SimpliVity Video - How To Install The HPE SimpliVity Plug-in On A vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA)

2. SimpliVity - Understanding and Troubleshooting Web Client Plugin Performance Issues

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

Laffeyd
Occasional Contributor

Re: Query: Can't Manager SimpliVity via vSphere Client - Not a Plug-in Issue (maybe)

Thanks for the reply.

1 - I have installed the plug-in (i uninstalled and reinstalled).

2 - Just went through them all but no luck. 

Would it be unadvised to run through the deployment manager? Presume I'd be reconfiguring?  Probably make no difference to the plug-in?

cheers

db13
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi @Laffeyd, deployment manager will not fix the issue with the plugin. It is likely due to the IDs changing from the removal and re-add to vCenter inventory. You may try running the dsv-update-vcenter from both nodes 1 at a time as it will require a reboot of the OVC. Once the 1st OVC has rebooted, verify that all of the VMs are HA compliant using the svt-vm-show command before proceeding to the next node. If that does not restore the functionality, you would likely need to open a time and material support case to have support identify and fix the issue.

I am an HPE Employee
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base

Accept or Kudo

Laffeyd
Occasional Contributor

Thanks buddy, that fixed the issue. Really appreciate your help!