HPE SimpliVity
1748089 Members
4946 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Connecting external storage will work on SImplivity?

dmercado
Occasional Contributor

Connecting external storage will work on SImplivity?

Hi there,

Would like to know if connecting NAS / SAN storage will work on simplivity and how will it be connected?

I'm looking to connect storeasy or nimble

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Gaitonde
Occasional Visitor

Yes, You can connect externel storage to simplivity box using HBA card.  However simplivity features compression, Deduplication will not be applicable on this storage.

LiamP
HPE Pro

While connecting other types of storage is possible, it is currently not supported without approval.

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

dmercado
Occasional Contributor

So I can connect directly using FC via HBA?  should the file system must be similar with the hypervisor ?

dmercado
Occasional Contributor

Im not aware of this approval, where should we submit this kind of approval?

TomiKarlsson
Advisor

Hi. We have done this for example in migration cases. Used FC card in the Simplivity node and connected it to SAN storage, when we had to move VMs from old vSphere environment to new HPE Simplivity clusters. We have some customers also using this in parallel with Simplivity datastores.

But as earlier mentioned, it will be a normal VMFS datastore to the ESXi server.

Br, Tomi

Praveen_M
HPE Pro

Simplivity solutions (HPE, Dell 0r Cisco) can use external storage using any external HBA storage card (Based on the compatibility hardware matrix). Since SimpliVity is HyperConverged solution, we cannt use the SimpliVity features to the External (HBA) storage.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

AnkiN
Valued Contributor

DaveOb
HPE Pro

As per LiamP pervious comment connection for anything other then data migration is supproted only after approval,If you intend to run both SimliVity and  legacy storage long term this must be approved on an individual case by case basis,You can talk to your local HPE team about the approval process.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
steez
Frequent Advisor

How about load on OVC. If VMs on external storage wont go through data reduction algorithms, it theoretically shouldnt add additional load to OVC VMs?

Currently we're having issues where performance is affected due some DB VMs overloading OVCs. OVC CPU goes 100% and all the storage gets delayed (lower IOPS, higher latency etc.)