4551 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Critical customer bulleting regarding SanDisks SSDs in OmniCubes

sergeisokolov
Advisor

Critical customer bulleting regarding SanDisks SSDs in OmniCubes

Greetings!

HPE sent out a critical customer bulletin regarding SanDisk SSDs failing after 40000 work hours.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00099180en_us

I'm wondering if the someone has already attempted upgrading that firmware and wouldn't mind sharing the experience? I suppose all the VMs must be powered off before that and the host requires a restart afterwards?
Hopefully the data will remain intact after the upgrade and there is no need to evacuate VMs before the upgrade.

3 REPLIES 3
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @sergeisokolov 

Thanks for your query. Please remember that not all OmniCubes will be affected by this. Only OmniCubes with certain SanDisk drives. There is a Dell EMC knowledge article linked from the bulletin which explains how to check if your sever needs to have the firmware upgraded.

There are also steps outlined of how this needs to be done in the EMC knowledge article linked from the bulletin.

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

sergeisokolov
Advisor

We are one of the lucky ones who happen to have those SSDs.
My inquiry was not about how to perform the upgrade but to find out if there were any issues when upgrading OmniCubes specifically. Dell EMC articles just provide generalized guidelines without mentioning SimpliVity.

sergeisokolov
Advisor

Hello!

Just wanted to give feedback in case someone will face the same task. Updating via iDRAC 8 worked fine. Just in case I powered down the host beforehand, because a restart would be needed anyway.

The only thing that I had hoped would revert back to "green" is the health status in SimpliVity plug-in's Hardware tab. While it detects the new disk firmware version, the remaining life of the SSDs is still showing as N/A (and "Low" when the mouse cursor is over the yellow exclamation mark).

Well, at least we can hope the drives won't fail after 40K operation hours, which in our case would have happened in a month or two.