108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Deploy management virtual appliance fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sjoerd2106
Advisor

Deploy management virtual appliance fails

We have succesfully created a federation with two clusters in the federation. We would now like to add a management appliance for centralized management. We did this by using the "Deploy Management Virtual Appliance" option in the SimpliVity plugin in vCenter, and filling in all the settings like IP address, gateway and name etcetera.

When the installation start, you can see that the MVA datastore and backup policy are created. The MVA deployment, however, fails. The only error you can see is the one in the screenshot below:

appliance_failed.jpg

What can you do now to troubleshoot this error? The federation is still running fine I can see with the commando svt-federation-show. The SimpliVity vCenter plugin seems to be in the wrong state after this failed deployment however:

appliance_failed2.jpg

The ESXi nodes now also show an error considering the eventmgr:

appliance_failed3.jpg

My questions are:

- How can I reset the vCenter plugin so that it uses a peer-to-peer management again for the federation?

- How can I troubleshoot an error like "Failed to deploy the MVA?

I also already tried creating a support ticket for this at support.hpe.com. I have an HPE Passport account with the SimpliVity contract number assigned to it. But the support site fails to let me create a ticket for some reason.

But maybe finding a solution to this issue, is something that can be useful to the HPE Community as well. Lets share information!

3 REPLIES 3
gustenar
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @Sjoerd2106 

Thank you for using HPE SimpliVity Forums. 

These are some things I would double check before re-attempting the installation of MVA. 

-Log into all OVCs, elevate to root and check the /mva/deploy folder. This folder must contain the MVA ISO and it should be on every OVC. There are also yaml files in this folder. To elevate to root after you've logged in to the OVC simply type "sudo su" and then "source /var/tmp/build/bin/appsetup".

-It is important when entering the configuration values that the Network name matches the name of the Management network of the OVC. The OVC management network is by default named "VM Network" but if this port group name has been changed then use the current name instead.

After checking this try deleting the MVAs from disk and re-attempt the deployment of the MVA. 

Hope this helps.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Sjoerd2106
Advisor

-It is important when entering the configuration values that the Network name matches the name of the Management network of the OVC. The OVC management network is by default named "VM Network" but if this port group name has been changed then use the current name instead.

This was indeed the solution. The mistake I made, was that I thought the field Network name was for the hostname given to the appliance after deployment. But it was indeed needed to fill in the name of the port group for the management network.

So thank you very much for this information. The appliance is now running fine!

gustenar
HPE Pro

Awesome! Glad to help and happy it is resolved. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo