3520 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Expansion Simplivity HPE DL380 Gen10

ICPMuenchen
Frequent Advisor

Disk Expansion Simplivity HPE DL380 Gen10

Hey Folks,

we have a Medium HPE DL380 Gen10 Simplivity 2-Node Cluster (10TB Storage each) and i was wondering if it would be possible to expand the Storage, and how the expansion will work. 

Is there a need to re-setup the Nodes or is an on-the-fly expansion possible?

Regards

Peter

6 REPLIES 6
B0ris
Frequent Advisor

Yes, you can upgrade storage from M to L by buying appropriate storage upgrade kit, and you must also include both hardware and software license cost for upgrading M to L.

The upgrade process is destructive to the node - it will be removed from the Federation, re-imaged, and re-deployed. The data will be protected as long as the node is in a cluster - there will be another copy of the data.

ICPMuenchen
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your fast reply.

So i will run with only one node while upgrading the other node. The new deployed expanded node re-joins the cluster, data will be synced and i will start the second node to expand in the same way, right?

Can i also add an additional M-sized Disk-Set or is it just upgrading/replacing the current M-sized Disk Set to a new L-Sized Disk-Set?

B0ris
Frequent Advisor

Yes. First you physically upgrade storage (adding new disks) to one server, perform re-deploy and wait for data to sync. After that, you proceed with the second node. If I remember correctly, RAID controller is only added, when you upgrade from S to M, so in your case, you only add new disks.

You can check official HPE document with the product numbers for the storage upgrade kit and licenses.

ICPMuenchen
Frequent Advisor

so when i understand correctly:
I can add a second bunch of 9 x 1,92 TB Disk Set (Medium) to the node and we would double the capacity in our case? 
(of course plus additional licenses etc.)

B0ris
Frequent Advisor

No. I think that only 3 SSD per node are added from Medium to Large storage node. In that case, you have 5TB of additional space. If anyone have different information, please correct me.

victor-mx

I understand that for an extra small node, there is no SKU to grow it to small, if it is required to grow the storage, the only solution is to add one more xs node or it can be a larger one, for example a medium node, this is for the simplivity 380 gen10.

Thank you