HPE SimpliVity
1748028 Members
5230 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Error Deploying HPE DL380 Simplivity Gen9 | ERROR: step 5 of 32 - A configuration parameter is i

JorgeH117
Collector

Error Deploying HPE DL380 Simplivity Gen9 | ERROR: step 5 of 32 - A configuration parameter is inva

I'm getting an error by trying to deploy a simplivity node on my productive vCenter Server instance.

Deployment manager Error

ERROR: step 5 of 32 - A configuration parameter is invalid

When I ran the Host Settings test it did't get any warnings or errors.

Anyone that solved this issue or have any ideas of what the problem is?

8 REPLIES 8
dhooley
HPE Pro

Re: Error Deploying HPE DL380 Simplivity Gen9 | ERROR: step 5 of 32 - A configuration parameter is i

Hi @JorgeH117 

Would need the orchestrator log from the Deployment manager logs to dig a bit deeper on this one. That log should tell us what parameterr is in fact invalid.

Log is located \Users\<yourUser>\AppData\Local\DeploymentManager

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
JorgeH117
Collector

Here's the logs I found 

2019-10-03 18:53:45,754Z INFO OmniStack-172.24.16.128 [c.s.d.o.Orchestrator] info(DeployLogger.java:214) - step 5 of 32 (00.48%) - A configuration parameter is invalid - ERR_INVALID_CONFIG(90030) Expected exactly 1 RAID passthru device and 0 TIA passthru device in config. Saw 0 and 1, respectively at /opt/svtdi/hvitool/Plugin/Esxi.pm line 180.

2019-10-03 18:53:45,755Z ERROR OmniStack-172.24.16.128 [c.s.d.o.Orchestrator] error(DeployLogger.java:98) - step 5 of 32 (00.48%) - A configuration parameter is invalid - Expected exactly 1 RAID passthru device and 0 TIA passthru device in config. Saw 0 and 1, respectively at /opt/svtdi/hvitool/Plugin/Esxi.pm line 180.

DaveOb
HPE Pro

Expected exactly 1 RAID passthru device and 0 TIA passthru device in config. Saw 0 and 1, respectively at /opt/svtdi/hvitool/Plugin/Esxi.pm line 180

Is the accelerator card present? if so try powering off the node unplugging for 15 min and retry the deployment.You could also try to reseat the acclerator card.

If this does not work then you will need to open a supprot ticket for replacment.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
JorgeH117
Collector

Hi Dave
I have done what you recommended and the problem persisted, so I proceeded to request a support ticket with HPE and just today I made the replacement of the accelerator card.

A few moments ago I tried to perform the node deployment once again, but unfortunately I found the same error. Do you have any idea what to do?

gustenar
HPE Pro

@JorgeH117  if you look at the back of the server, do you see green lights for the accelerator card? Make sure it is on and in good health. I would try shutting down the server and reseating it. Also, try removing the power completely from the system and power back on. Make sure accelerator card is green. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
NaruwatT

I found this error message in HPE Simplivity 380 Gen10 also with Omnistack 4.0.0 on ESXi 6.7 U3 
My team update firmware SPP to the latest version.
Delete Logical Volume and Delete RAID in Smart Array. Don't create RAID 5 or RAID-6.

Start Deploy again.

We can complete deployment. 

Hope this help.

StephenJamieson
Occasional Visitor

Right.

Here's the issue. If you check the C:\Users\$your_user\AppData\Local\DeploymentManager directory for the relevant (often the newest) "orchestrator log", you can open it and find the reason for the failure outlined somewhere above/near the message that says "failed to deploy omnicube".

Here's an example:
2020-12-09 19:52:48,922Z [Omnistack-192.168.0.21] ERROR c.s.d.orchestrator.DeployExecutor - com.simplivity.deploy.orchestrator.DeployException: ERR_INVALID_CONFIG: A configuration parameter is invalid. - target.boot could not be determined at /opt/svtdi/hvitool/Plugin/Esxi.pm line 134.

If you have this message where the target.boot could not be deteremined, it's possible that the 2 drives on the "back" of the host are not configured properly. As of writing this, the expectation is that there are 2 different raid controllers on a SimpliVity host and that the one with 2 HDDs on it is the back controller. This will be the following:

E208i-p SR Gen10 Array Controller in slot 3

and has:

2 x 300 GB SAS HDD drive(s)

This is where ESXi and the OVC are deployed/located.

What this particular error message is indicating is that it could not find a valid target on those drives to boot to. This can happen because there is no logical drive or raid configured, or it's configured incorrectly.

If in fact that is the case, the solution is to

• reboot the host
  • enter "intelligent provisioning" (F10 when prompted)
  • "clear configuration" for the E208i-p SR Gen10 Array Controller in slot 3 controller.
    • Create a new configuration using RAID 1.

• You can clear the configuration for the other raid controller:
  • P816i-a SR Gen10 Array Controller in slot 0
    Deployment orchestrator will recreate the raid group automatically upon deployment.

This particular guide was written specifically for 4.0.1 using an Intel Based Proliant Gen10 SimpliVity node, it's possible that future changes will affect the way the error message is described, or what configurations are used, or which raid controllers are installed in the system.

I am an HPE employee

hpe_banner_SME_signature.png

Regards,
Stephen Jamieson
Escalation and Performance Engineer III
North America & Latin America
Global Remote Services

AleksandarPeev
Advisor

Re: Error Deploying HPE DL380 Simplivity Gen9 | ERROR: step 5 of 32 - A configuration para

This method has helped me recover from a failed deployment.

Thanks!