108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Error removing host from Simplivity Federation

SOLVED
Go to solution
policeman51
Advisor

Error removing host from Simplivity Federation

We have a Simplivity host that we did not need any more so we wiped it, but didn't remove it from the Simplivity Federation first so it's in a faulty state now when you run the svt-federation-show command.

I ran the following command to remove the host, but received the following error.  Does anyone now a way to force the removal of a host:

administrator@vsphere@omnicube-ip193-56:~$ svt-federation-remove --peerip 10.216.193.43 --override
WARNING: If there are VMs present that are not HA compliant,
         this operation will result in data loss.  You must reset the
         OmniStack host to factory defaults before you can redeploy it.
Proceed? (y/n): y
One or more OmniStack host systems is faulty.
This operation will not complete until all OmniStack host systems are healthy, or until you remove all faulty OmniStack host systems from the Federation.
Proceed? (y/n): y
ERROR [114]: Unable to find an OmniCube using the provided information.
21 REPLIES 21
policeman51
Advisor

Oh and i also tried removing the host from the VMware Web Client but got the attached error.

DaveOb
HPE Pro
Solution

It is best practice to remove a node as soon it has been identified that it is no longer needed in the federation leaving nodes in a faulty state for prolonged periods may lead to issues.

The GUI option will only work if the node is in a non fautly state,The GUI would be the preferred method of removing  a node to be decommisioned from  a federation.

If it is the only node in a datacenter/cluster then the cluster or datacenter should be removed using the --cluster / --datacenter flag instead of the --peerip.

When specifiying ----peerip use the ESXI host not the OVC managment IP.

If you are still having issues its probably best to open a support ticket and let them take care of it / guide you further.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
policeman51
Advisor

Thanks for your reply.  

The command didn't seem to work.  I got the same 114 error so I've opened a ticket with HP Support.

policeman51
Advisor

The support tech was able to remove the old hosts with a script.

Not sure what magic they did, but it worked.

Interwebz
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue in our dev environment.  An Omnistack or OVC was removed incorrectly by mistake and then the ESXi host was removed from the vCenter view.  I'm not able to redeploy the node since it's stuck as faulty/orphan while issuing svt-federation-show command.  svt-federation-remove does not work since it cannot communicate with the ESXi host or the OVC.

Did you by any chance get that script?

Is there a svt/dsv command that could remove the faulty host/OVC from the federation so we can redploy it?

policeman51
Advisor

They didn't share it, but I just asked for it.

I'll  reply with it as soon as I get it.

Interwebz
Occasional Advisor

Ahh sweet, you could possibly find it on the OVC that they were connected to if they didn't remove it. :)

policeman51
Advisor

Here's the script.  Good luck.

Info Erased

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @policeman51 @Interwebz 

Only experienced HPE SimpliVity support personnell should run any scripts within your SimpliVity environment.

Steps to remove a node, if done in the correct sequence, should never require any additional scripts.

In the event that a node has been uncleanly removed, a support case should be created so that we in support can perform the necessary steps to resolve for you.

I strongly advise refraining from using these scripts unsolicited by a SimpliVity support team member.

Incorrect usage of any script can have serious adverse affects in your environment, and HPE SimpliVity will not be held responsible for any misuse of such scripts.

I strongly advise @Interwebz that you create a support case to allow the SimpliVity support team to assist with the removal.

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo