Re: Error removing host from Simplivity Federation

SOLVED
Go to solution
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

@policeman51 @Interwebz 

Apologies guys.

We really appreciate, and love seeing you collaborating and chatting on this forum, but to avoid any possible misuse of the script by others who may come across it, we've removed it from the chat.

Hope you understand, and please keep using the forum and chatting!!

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

policeman51
Advisor

Haters... just kidding.

It's cool and I know it's not your fault.  Maybe they should make a more open platform or admins can manage their own environment and make changes when needed instead of having the platform locked down where you need to contact support.

For this instace I understand, hosts should be removed from the federation prior to decommissioning, but it's not the only time where I had to contact support to make changes in the Simplivity environment that I manage.  We didn't get into IT just to call support.  Learning involves researching, it involves failing.  

OK, off my soap box.

Interwebz
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I my case it's a test system and has absolutley no impact on any production systems.  It seems quite counter productive to not let admins clean up their own environments.  The only way this can be cleaned that I know of is to reinstall the vCenter and start from scratch.  That's like using a nuke trying to kill a mosquito.

It would be greatly appreaciated if the script could be PM:ed.

Thanks

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @Interwebz @policeman51 

Thanks for the responses.

@Interwebz One of the reasons the script was removed was that we also need to be careful regards versions etc.

I think that the node removal for you should be do-able without running this script. The script in essence is basically just the background task for the dsv-federation-remove task (depending on OVC softweare version you run)

I would like to understand what you have already tried also. Can you let me know the following please:

1) OVC software version

2) Steps already taken.

Once I know this, I will advise on next steps. 

Thanks,

Declan.

Accept or Kudo

Interwebz
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

OVC, 3.7.6.156

Tried to remove with the svt-federation-remove command but it does not allow force removal of faulty nodes.  The script does the trick, it has the power parameter that 3.7.6 is missing.

My issues is resolved at least.  I wished that HPE was more helpful as this is a simple thing to do.  It should not require a support call to HPE in my optinion.

Riik
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

We're also looking for the same script. Unfortunately we've run into the same issue and there is not a clean way anymore to remove the host from SimpliVity Federation. Also a non-production system here where this happened.

OVC 3.7.8.232

Please assist.

Toonkraft01

Hello, 

Actually the command is correct, but need to check the syntaxis and well you get this: 

svt-federation-remove --peerip GUID-off-faulty-node --power.(at this point we have to know
which Node ID to release)

Obtain the GUID (Node ID) you will need to use the command: dsv-cfgdb-get-sync-status
After that sure you have no problems to remove the node.

Edgar Ventura | CSC SimpliVity/VMware Support
I am a HPE Employee
Riik
Occasional Visitor

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your reply, partial correct. The GUID is indeed required in the peerip to point to the right node.

Unfortunately, like all others it's resolved by using the script provided by an HPE SimpliVity engineer.

We've compared the used script with the svt-federation-remove. The --power argument is a hidden parameter and can be used. However in the svt-federation-remove script the parameter doesn't actually do something, therefor it is not passed through the deeper function. The script is slightly different and passes on this parameter, That is the main difference between both codes.

Alessandroo

Hi,

Cause my second node dont see my common datastore after creation...

Try to remove the 2nd node from my vcenter => ok

Factory Reset ok.

Deploy ok and waiting for discovered.

Unable to pass the scan menu..=> Could not retrieve the configuration of existing  HPe Omnistack host, Please try again....

Nothing in the logs...

Do i have to reset the first node too...?

Any idea ? Thanks...

gustenar
HPE Pro

The --power option was removed from the command starting software 3.7.3 if not mistaken.

svt-federation-remove will work properly if there are no faulty nodes in federation. If you need to remove a node from federation that is faulty, support can assist with the task by loading the script needed for this.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo