HPE SimpliVity
1745892 Members
4836 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware Updates - Simplivity CN-3000 (Dell R720xd)

SOLVED
Go to solution
uvstudios
Visitor

Firmware Updates - Simplivity CN-3000 (Dell R720xd)

I'm currently trying to update the firmware on a legacy OmniCube system, CN-3000. It's an older Dell server. I've looked at the Intropobility guides for Dell servers but do not see the 720xd listed. Is there a place I can find the updated firmware for this system? It's currently on 1.6.1 BIOS revision. I've attempted to download the update ISO for HPE OmniStack Firmware. Ths ISO boots and recognizes the system, but does not have any firmware updates for it. I'm assuming I'm going to need a much older ISO to have these legacy updates. 

Thanks for your help!

Chase

21 REPLIES 21
gustenar
HPE Pro

Re: Firmware Updates - Simplivity CN-3000 (Dell R720xd)

@uvstudios 

Here's the link for the interoperability guide for Omnicubes. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00063501en_us&withFrame

The latest firmware available is 820-000001-dell-r720xdfirmware-m for the CN-3000 and it is compatible with Simplivity software 3.6.2 to 3.7.8. See the note that it is compatible wth 3.6.2 but not verified. 

I put the firmware ISO on an FTP site for you to download. If you are running an older Simplivity software version let me know to put the image supported.

Drop Box Host:    ftp.ext.hpe.com  (15.241.164.77, Failover: 15.241.48.63)

Login:            fwdell01

Password:         H5hd=GF9  (NOTE: CASE-sensitive)

Account Expires:  6/2/2019 4:34:18 PM  (drop box expiry/deletion date)

Access Type:      read/write

Hope it helps, 

Gus

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
uvstudios
Visitor

Gus this is fantastic! I thought for sure there wouldn't be any updates available for this system and it would of been forgotten about. I'm happy to see that the BIOS version is much more up to date. Thanks for taking your time out on a Sunday to respond to my post. I really appreciate it. I'm going to download the firmware ISO right now.

Chase

gustenar
HPE Pro

You're welcome and let us know how it goes.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
uvstudios
Visitor

Hello Gus,

I've got the ISO downloaded and attempted to create a bootable USB. I'm now almost positive that this ISO is not actually bootable. Do I just use this ISO from the OS side of the system and update the firmware from there? I haven't actually updated firmware on this system before, sorry for the newbie qustion, but any guidance of how to succuessfully do with this ISO would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @uvstudios 

Perform the upgrade using the Lifecycle Controller. When the server is booting press F10 to boot to LifeCycle controller and once in there, select Firmware Update. The ISO image has to be mounted as virtual media first so you can choose "Local CD/USB drive" and from there the system should recognize the folders inside the ISO. It will ask you for a File Path, in this field type "\repository" without the quotes. 

Let me know if this works.

Gus

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
uvstudios
Visitor

Hi @gustenar 

It appears as if my LifeCycle controller firmware is too old to be able to access it through iDRAC to mount the ISO to the server (this is a Java issue, I've attemtped to get java to work on machine, but that's a no go). I may need to access an older version of the firmware for the LifeCycle Controller and also the iDRAC. I've also just tried to copy the contents of the ISO to a USB thumbdrive and point the Lifecycle Controller to the /repository directory, but when doing this it notifies me that the catlog file is not valid. I've read that this happens with older version of the lifecycle controller. I believe I'm on version v1. Looking at the logs in the Lifecycle controller shows the server firmware hasn't been updated since 2013. Is there a repository where there are older firmware's available? I've downloaded the OEM Firmware for the LifeCycle Controller from Dells website, but upon putting that on a USB thumbdrive it still notifies me the catalog file is not valid.

gustenar
HPE Pro
Solution

@uvstudios 

I think you need to find a bootable ISO to upgrade iDRAC and LifeCycle controller first, then try our ISO. The problem might not be the ISO i provided, but instead the iDrac. Are you typing /repository on the file path? you can try also just "/" without the quotes. 

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
uvstudios
Visitor

@gustenar 

Thanks for your advice. I was albe to update the LifeCycle Controler to v1.4. Once I did that I was able to update iDrac. Mounting the ISO through Virtual Media was a breeze after iDrac was updated The server's firmware. Thanks for all your assistance in this. I was even able to install some new Processors into the system with BIOS 2.7.0. 

Chase

gustenar
HPE Pro

Excellent news! Thanks for the update!

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo