108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Graceful shutdown

SOLVED
Go to solution
Batman1
Occasional Visitor

Graceful shutdown

Hello .... is it possible to gracefully shutdown an OVC / SimpliVity? Want to shut it down for a maintenance work. 

ThAnKs & ReGaRdS, 

6 REPLIES 6
Alan_Hymes
HPE Pro

Absolutely, if you do a search of "SimpliVity OVC Shutdown" you can see a few articles.  Here is one:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-sv11955en_us&docLocale=en_US

it talks about "How to Safely Shut Down an OmniCube/OmniStack Host"

Alan

Alan Hymes

Accept or Kudo

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi @Batman1

In addition to Alan's comment, and if you are using the vSphere web client, the steps would be as follows:

1. Click on the web client Home tab
  2. Select the HPE Simplivity federation icon
  3. Select "hosts"
  4. Once selected, you will see a list of available OVC's pertaining to the simplivity nodes in your environment
  5. Right click the required OVC
  6. Select the "All HPE simplivity actions" tab
  7. Shut down virtual controller.

NOTE: If this is a single node, downtime will need to be planned for the VM's running on that node and they should be powered down beforehand.

If powering down the node completely, VM's should be either powered down or migrated to another node in the cluster firstly.

Once the OVC is shutdown, place the host in maintenance mode and shutdwon the node as per standard VMware procedure.

Ensure the OVC is correctly showing as being shut down before proceeding with placing in maintenence mode, and shutting down the Node/ESXi host completely.

ps - I see that Alan's document actually covers web client also after I have written this post :)  That article covers the above also.

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

Batman1
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for the steps. have made a note of it.waiting to plan a downtime. 

Appreciate your help. 

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

@Batman1

No problem at all.

Thanks for using the HPE Simplivity forum :)

Accept or Kudo

mpac

You can send a svt-shutdown-safe via ssh2 to the OVC's

mwant

None of procedures mention the VCS server, should this be shutdown after the Omnicube Servers?

I think I have answered my own question having looked at the process further, you shut the OmniCubes down through VCS so it must then be VCS server shutdown then ESX to maintenance mode