7243 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Gracefull shutdown 3 node cluste

AshruTech
Occasional Contributor

Gracefull shutdown 3 node cluste

Hello,

we are adding new 10 network card on 3 Simplivity nodes. We have no downtime for doing this work.

How can I shutdown one host from the simplivity 3 node cluster for mainatance?( Without shutdown Guest VM)

please confirm that I follow the below procedure?

1. Move all the guest virtual machines from the host to another host.

2. Right-click the row with the HPE OmniStack host you want to shut down and click All HPE SimpliVity
ActionsтЖТShut Down Virtual Controller.
3. Click SHUT DOWN to shut down the Virtual Controller on the host and Click Yes when prompted to confirm the forced shutdown to avoid the HA compliance check and continue the shutdown.
3. Enter Mainatnace on Host
4. Power Off the host.
4. After Network Card is replaced we will power on Host
5 Exit Mainatnace on Host
6. Power on Virtual Controller
7. we will check HA Status
8. After that we will do on another host.

3 REPLIES 3
Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

Re: Gracefull shutdown 3 node cluste

Hi AshruTech,

You have three nodes,

where is the vCenter and Arbiter?

Are they both on the SimpliVity cluster?

I didn't ask this before, but is the 10GbE also running the management vmk for the host?

1. Check the cluster to ensure HA and DRS are enabled.

2. Check the SimpliVity cluster health by SSHing to the OVC and issue commands:

2a.    svt-federation-show   you should see all connected and active, all green.

2b.    svt-vm-show    you should see all VMs with Storage HA = Yes and green

3. Put the host you want to work on in maintenance mode, VMware HA/DRS should move all the VMs off except the OVC.

4. Once all VMs are migrated off automatically, you will just be left with the OVC. You can shutdown the OVC on that respective host, either through the GUI as you mentioned, or SSH to that OVC and issue svt-shutdown-safe

5. When the OVC shuts down, the host will automatically go into maintenance mode. Now you can power off the host

6. Install the new 10GbE network card, reconnect all cables, etc

7. Power on the host, wait for it to come up into maintenance mode. If you are running everything over the 10GbE including VMware host management, you'll have to set the host to us the new card from the VMware host console. I don't believe it will use the new NIC otherwise.

8. Change the vSwitch(es) on that host to use the new 10GbE card and ensure the repsective VMkernels can ping the other hosts currently on the original 10GbE cards.

9. Exit maintenance mode, power on the OVC first thing. Let it full boot up then check federations and HA status of the VMs. Make sure the OVC can ping the other OVCS, etc.

10. Once all green, then advance to the next host.

In this manner you should be able to do all this online with no outage.

AshruTech
Occasional Contributor

Hi Randolfini ,

Thank you..... Please find the below reply .......

where is the vCenter and Arbiter?

Vcenter is inside The Simplivity cluster

Arbiter is outside The Simplivity cluster

is the 10GbE also running the management vmk for the host?

No 1 GbE

4. Once all VMs are migrated off automatically, you will just be left with the OVC. You can shutdown the OVC on that respective host, either through the GUI as you mentioned, or SSH to that OVC and issue svt-shutdown-safe

do we need force shutdown to avoid the HA Compliance check

Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

Hi AshruTech,

Ok to vCenter, Arbiter (Outside is perfect) and management on 1GbE.

No I would not force shutdown. In my experience I've only had to use svt-shutdown-safe and it has safely and timely shutdown the OVC. I use this process when performing maintenance on my hosts and haven't had an issue.