108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Greenfield setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Greenfield setup

having to install a simplivity cluster in a greenfield situation were no previous or available vcenter can be used or created how should the setup be completed ?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
AbhilashPandiri
HPE Pro

Re: Greenfield setup

Yes you can use the existing vCenter if any or create a new vCenter to deploy the simplivity Nodes

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

@AbhilashPandiri 

the question is about how to create a vcenter if there's no server to deploy it in .

Imagine a situation of a customer who bought a simplivity solution but has no previous vmware infrastucture.

How can the simplivity cluster be deployed if there's no option to create a vcenter because lack of other servers ?

thanks

kylerj
HPE Pro
Solution

@Stefano Colombo 

You can maybe take a SimpliVity node, deploy it as a compute node (dont use Deployment Manager), install vCenter on ESXi, Deploy your other Simplivity node, mount SVT datastore to the "compute node", full vmotion vcenter to SVT datastore, factory reset the "compute node" and deploy it as a SimpliVity node using vCenter.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

AbhilashPandiri
HPE Pro

Hi Stefano,

we would require a vCenter to be deployed in order to deploy the simplivity cluster.

If you dont have a standard host to create a new vCenter, for example you have 2 simplivity nodes, use the first node -install ESXi-create a new vCenter  and deploy the seconde Node on the vCenter to create a simplivity cluster.post which migrate the vCenter VM   to the second simplivity cluster  Node and once vCenter is working fine, factory reset the Node and deploy the first Node.In this case we will have the vCenter VM hosted on simplivity cluster

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Thanks all for the reply, I didn’t thought at this option
Best regards