5552 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP simplivity Microsoft hyper V and Best Practice Update

jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

HP simplivity Microsoft hyper V and Best Practice Update

Hello,

I have 2 system Gen 10 380 Simplivity with Microsoft Hyper-V and i would like to know what are the best practices for updating windows ( Windows Update) on this System.

Thx a lot 

7 REPLIES 7
DowS
HPE Pro

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please see the Interoperability guide which will verify the compatibility of the versions you are running/Planning to run.

To allow me provide more relevant information, Can you confirm the version of Simplivity you are running?

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

My server is running in version 3.7.7.  The version of simplivity is not a problem. 

I would like to know if I could or not update the windows CORE embedded on the machine ( my dual simplivity work with Hyper V Microsoft) : 

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @jfrobs 

Currently, we do not support patching of the hyper-v hosts.

We will be qualifying patches in the future and they will be documented in the interop guide. For that reason updates should remain on manual, and on the current patch level that you installed with.

I will update the thread when I verify which patches we currently do support.

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @jfrobs 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

We do support patching of hyper-v hosts, however, only patches which have been qualified by our engineering team may be applied. Those patches will be listed in all future interoperability guides starting with release 3.7.8

The 3.7.8 admin guides will also detail the exact steps necessary when patching.

Currently, as far as version 3.7.7 goes, the October patch is qualified. Also, I believe most 3.7.7 releases came with the May patch pre-installed.

Hope this helps,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your answer.

We have a problem with network management in the Cluster and we have opened a Case at Microsoft and usually it asks us to be updated at the Update level. That's why I asked et create this Topic.

Regards 

Jérémy

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @jfrobs 

Understand completely.

If you're running 3.7.7, you can run on the May or October patch. (MS Oct 18, 2018 KB4462928 (OS Build 4393.2580)

Other than that, and from 3.7.8 onwards, you will need to reference interop guides.

I would not recommend (nor do we support) patching where we have not qualified that patch. 

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

Thx for the reply

I have some problems with the Failover Cluster on the simplivity => All the networks are grouped in 1 Cluster Network  :

but Microsoft is asking me to be up to date on Windows Update. So I'm stuck :-/