4633 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE Arbiter Migration

Oscar_Cristobal
Occasional Contributor

HPE Arbiter Migration

Could you help me with a little doubt?

I installed HPE Arbiter and  VMware vCenter Server in a same server that communicates to a Simplivity Clúster (2 Nodes), but now I want to migrate that server to another one (P2P) without changing any data.

My question is:

• What should I consider when migrating server?
  • We must to do an specific configuration at Simplivity Nodes when we have done migration physical to physical? 

I will plan to use VMware Converter to do the migration P2P, because I will conserve the same IP in the new server. 

Thaks for your support,

Regards,

6 REPLIES 6
B0ris
Frequent Advisor

You can use preferred method to migrate your server to another one. For Arbiter it is only important, that IP remains the same. If you change your IP address, you must also change the configuration via OVC CLI. 

So in your case, nothing needs to be done, becouse your server (operating system and Arbiter) remains unchanged.

AnkiN
Valued Contributor

If you want to migrate the arbiter then you have to follow below steps

1. Install the arbiter to new location

2. Redirect the federation/cluster based on your need using the CLI command provided in the reference guide

B0ris
Frequent Advisor

That is absolutelly true if you want to migrate Arbiter on another Windows server with different IP address. In our case,  user only wants to transfer all the data from one physical server to another. This will be done using VMWare Converter P2P, which is basically disk clone. But keep in mind, that if you have Windows operating system, and new server hardware is a lot different than te old one, you will have problems like BSOD  

Oscar_Cristobal
Occasional Contributor

So, if I don´t do migration method, can I implement this method?:

My plan is configure a new vCenter Server in a new server node, the only thing I have to do is:

- Install Arbiter, install vCenter Server and assign the same IP address that the previous server had?

Thanks for your advice,

Regards.

AnkiN
Valued Contributor

@Oscar_Cristobal 
Are you planning to move the nodes also to the new vCenter?

DowS
HPE Pro

Hi  Oscar,

If you are using the same IP for the vCenter but deploying a new server instance then you will need to run the following command to generate a new set of authentication certificates, save them in the identitystore, and update vCenter Server.

The arbiter will not require updating if the same IP is used.

Version prior to <3.7.7 use:

dsv-identitystore-update-vcenter --username -- password

Newer versions 3.7.7 > use: 

dsv-digitalvault-update-vcenter --username <username> --password <password>

If the --server option is selected, either of these commands will also update the vCenter Server IP address in svtfs.xml. 

Note: Use --help at the end to See A Full Explanation of any Command

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo