HPE SimpliVity
1753587 Members
6585 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE SimpliVity - Where are the updates?

SOLVED
Go to solution
zummy430
Occasional Advisor

HPE SimpliVity - Where are the updates?

No updates since 4.0.1 / April?  We need vSphere 7.x support and we need it now. 

11 REPLIES 11
jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

He is already giving up Hyper-V,  it's just as well it was a disaster.

But yeah that would be good because there are a lot of late vmware updates now.

B0ris
Frequent Advisor

We are waiting for new version also. It should be released in August 2020, but i'm guessing that there must be some big issue for HPE that release isn't out yet

Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

I have new nodes that I am configuring for at-rest encrpytion with the HPE Smart Array controller. I came across a support bulletin and found this line that provides some possible time-frame:

Bulletin: (Revision) HPE SimpliVity Gen10 Systems - HPE Smart Array SR Gen10 Controller Firmware Version 3.0 To Be Available With The OmniStack Update Scheduled For November 2020

The article release date is 2020-03-12 and the last updated time stamp is 2020-09-29. Seems pretty encouraging.

Vadimio
Occasional Advisor

From HPE insiders: "...this is now slated for end of March."

ACA_RAY
Occasional Advisor

@Randolfini wrote:

I have new nodes that I am configuring for at-rest encrpytion with the HPE Smart Array controller. I came across a support bulletin and found this line that provides some possible time-frame:

I too come across that support bulletin recently and I hope it's correct, as end of March is some time to be waiting for the next version! Perhaps integration with vSphere 7 is causing some problems for them.

Ryan_Hardy
Frequent Advisor

While I do not necessarily need 7.x support right now, I really dislike the update strategy of HPE on SimpliVity systems. I understand that SimpliVity software stability needs testing of ESXi patches, but I can't image that it wouldn't be possible to support new ESXi patches within at least a month after public release.

With SimpliVity we have to run servers with unpatched CPU microcode as they always use old BIOS versions for the servers and quite old ESXi patch versions for the hypervisor. This way I constantly find myself looking for new supported patches in the interop guide, but that rarely ever happens. As much as I like the idea that was SimpliVity (being a customer for several years), I am pretty unsure this whole situation will be able to compete against other vendor's solutions on the next server upgrade.

B0ris
Frequent Advisor

Looks like 4.0.1 U1 is out https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/a00095520en_us

Ryan_Hardy
Frequent Advisor
Solution

My post was written with that knowledge already - 4.0.1 U1 again/still uses old ESXi and BIOS versions.

ACA_RAY
Occasional Advisor

@B0ris wrote:

Looks like 4.0.1 U1 is out https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/a00095520en_us

Good news, might look into getting a cluster up from 3.7.10 before Christmas. Looks like a direct upgrade.