HPE SimpliVity
1751695 Members
4774 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE SimpliVity upgrade manager 3.7.10 "object reference not set to an instance object"

SOLVED
Go to solution
fahlis
Frequent Advisor

HPE SimpliVity upgrade manager 3.7.10 "object reference not set to an instance object"

Hello!
I'm in the middle of upgrading OmniStack 3.7.9->3.7.10. When I try to login with upgrade manager using IP address of vCenter I get this error message.

"object reference not set to an instance object"

Need to solve this a.s.a.p

Anyone who has the solution ?

Br / Tony

24 REPLIES 24
gustenar
HPE Pro

Re: HPE SimpliVity upgrade manager 3.7.10 "object reference not set to an instance object"

Hello @fahlis , 

Have you tried uninstalling Deployment manager and re-install it? Also, make sure your are opening the software as administrator. What version of Windows are you running Deployment Manager on?

Gus

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
fahlis
Frequent Advisor

Hello @gustenar 

I am upgrading so no use of Deployment manager am I right ?
Or do I need to install the latest Deployment manager prior to ruinning the Upgrade manager ?
Never had to do that previously.
Just noticed some on-prem admin had uninstalled Java 1..8 so I'll try again after reinstalling Java.

Br / Tony

DaveOb
HPE Pro

Try restaring VC.

If you have an older version of upgrade manager this should be uninstalled.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
gustenar
HPE Pro

@fahlis my bad. I meant to say "Upgrade Manager". 

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
fahlis
Frequent Advisor

@gustenar

No problem, but now I have this other issue. When I choose commit for upgrading OmniStack I get this popup.

"The arbiter version is incompatible with this software"

I started "simplivity-upgrade-manager-3.7.10.249.exe" from admin cmd ,  it resides in same folder as all others from the extracted ISO as it should.
Is there a newer separate version of upgrade manager available separately or what causes this error ?
How can I mitigate it ?
OS on the arbiter server is WS2012 R2 full updated. Java 1.8 , .NET 4.0

Br / TOny

gustenar
HPE Pro

@fahlis 

What version of Simplivity Arbiter are you running? It must be upgraded to the supported version of the software you are trying to intall prior to installing the software.

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
fahlis
Frequent Advisor

@gustenar
"simplivity-arbiter-3.7.10.91"
And 
"simplivity-upgrade-manager-3.7.10.249"
Which both are included in the OmniStack 3.7.10 ISO
I noticed some leftover files under appdata\local\temp reffering to last upgrade. So i clerared that folder.
Tried again and same thing happened. 
I find this very strange. I suppose it won't work if I try CLI upgrade either ?
If so, could you please provide the correct command to do the CLI upgrade ?

Br/Tony

DaveOb
HPE Pro

Have you upgraded the arbiter on the machine where the arbiter is installed to 3.7.10 ?

grep arbiter $SVTLOG this should show where the arbiter is installed.

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
gustenar
HPE Pro

@fahlis As DaveOb mentioned, you need to make sure the new Arbiter version is installed on the Arbiter server. 

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo