1748279 Members
4039 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Incorrect svaSizeGB causes 4.0.1 upgrade on Gen9 hardware to fail

kerrplunk77
Advisor

Incorrect svaSizeGB causes 4.0.1 upgrade on Gen9 hardware to fail

This seems to be an issue with Gen9 upgrades, I've encountered this twice now while upgrading different customers so thought I would share...

The upgrade path was 3.7.9 to 4.0.1 and in both cases the sites had Gen9 hardware in 2+1 MEDIUM configuration.  In each site, one node out of the three failed in install the upgrade between just after 90% when the the OVC is instructed to safely shutdown. This doesn't happen and the upgrade fails; in a cluster the upgrade doesn not proceed with the next node.

Opened a case with HPE and after some time (seemed like this was an unknown issue) the problem was traced to an incorrect parameter in /var/svtfs/0/.vcconfig on OVC VM

In each customer deployment, svaSizeGB on the node that failed had a setting of 107. Increasing to 108 and restarting the svtfs service allowed the upgrade to complete. On checking the other OVC VMs in the federation, the parameter was already set to 108.

I had another customer with G10 MEDIUM nodes, also 2+1 and their upgrades from 3.7.9 to 4.0.1 installed withou this problem, so looks like it might be unique to G9??

In future I'll check this parameter before upgrading. Support didnt' elaborate on what the setting is for or why it was different in one node in the federation. Can anyone enlighten me? I'm assuming its linked to the  OVC VM allocated RAM.

One to watch out for if your upgrading to 4.0.1. I've done loads of upgrades from 2.x up and had never seen this before until twice in the last couple of weeks.

3 REPLIES 3
Shivam1
HPE Pro

Hi  ,

This infact is a known issue,when we attempt to upgrade to 4.0.0 from a set version, however depending on the target OVC code (4.0.1 in your case ), sva value may change in .vcconfig and from support pespective engineering advice to change  the value is recommended, I would appericiate if you can share the HPE support case number with me.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

kerrplunk77
Advisor

Case 5349778288

I'd be interested to know more about this parameter; can you share information?

Thanks

Shivam1
HPE Pro

The sva size is the memory occupied by the Omnistack virtual controller which is as seen from the vCenter.This memory is as used to manage the data plane and control plane of the SimpliVity host.The size of memory depends on the type of SimpliVity server whether its a large,medium or a small node, in the case where the upgrade jump was made ,the new code 4.0.1 did not need 120GB of the memory allocated for Omnistack rather it needed only 108 GB to function,hence the change was made in .vcconfig file to  change the reserved memory and let the upgrade go through.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo