New Discussion

Re: MIx federation legacy nodes and HPE nodes

SOLVED
Go to solution
simonsimon1129
Valued Contributor

MIx federation legacy nodes and HPE nodes

Hello everyone,
we are planing to deploy our old legacy nodes in our new federation but different vcenter meaning it would be a 2 vcenter in linked mode.

this is the end state we want:
Vcenter 1:(Already linked mode to vcenter 2)
cluster 1: 3x Hpe nodes (4.0.0)
cluster 2: 2x Hpe nodes(4.0.0)

vcenter 2:(Already linked mode to vcenter 1)
Cluster 1: 1x lenovo node(3.7.8 or 3.7.10)

is the set up will be fine ?
what version is good to mix with 4.0.0,  3.7.8 or 3.7.10 ?
Would I be able to do a backup from vcenter 1 to vcenter 2 ?

Any advise would help thanks !

4 REPLIES 4
gustenar
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @simonsimon1129,

While we support mixed clusters in version 4.0.0 I do not think you can deploy a server to an older version if you don't have already another node running on 3.7.x. The documentation states the following:

Deployment:
•New cluster deployments in federations running 3.7.10/3.7.10A and earlier must match the version running in the rest of the federation.
•Beginning in 3.7.10U1, new cluster deployments must match the version of at least one other cluster in the federation.
•Beginning in 4.0.1, if all the existing clusters in the federation are running at least 3.7.10U1, a new cluster can be deployed at 4.0.1 or later. Deployment to a higher version than exists in the current federation is only allowed if all of the existing clusters are running the same 3.7.10U1 or greater version.

The second statement is what makes me thing it won't work. I'm going to research on this and get back to you. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
gustenar
HPE Pro

@simonsimon1129,

I suspect the Deployment Manager will complain about the versions. Version 3.7.10 supports mixed clusters but it is usually the other way around> going from 3.7.10 to a higher version. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
simonsimon1129
Valued Contributor

Hello @gustenar ,

Thank you so much on your reply.
You are correct, We tried to deploy 3.7.8, 3.7.9 and 3.7.10  and errors are all the same
Error message: "step 4 of 34 - The Installer does not have compatible VC code in its configuration"

gustenar
HPE Pro

Yes, you need to be at the same levels to be able to deploy. 

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo