New Discussion

Metadata-Defrag Warning

SOLVED
Go to solution
EduardoMoreira
Occasional Advisor

Metadata-Defrag Warning

Hello All,

I have had a warning on my cluster of Simplivity.

Does someone know how I can investigate that?

The warning is:

Simplivity metadata-defrag process falling behind. Avg stripe density is low.

Thank you so much.

6 REPLIES 6
AnkiN
Valued Contributor

Re: Metadata-Defrag Warning

Hi @EduardoMoreira 

There are several factors that can decrease metadata-stripe density and trigger this alarm.
Reduce the backup frequency or you may remove the old backup.

Please refer to the Page 59 of the below link for the event reference guide which tell more about this event.
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00088863en_us

DaveOb
HPE Pro
Solution

I would suggest you open a support ticket on this one as the troubleshooting is beyond what can be provided in a forum.

At a guess i suspect your system is making a lot of changes and the internal defrag process is falling behind.Simplivity writes full 8k blocks overtime the data in the 8k blocks gets deleted once it drops below a percentage normally 20% this block is a candidate for defrag a bunch of these partial 8k blocks are then consolidated.

Perhaps the system is generating more partial  blocks then the default  setttings can accomadate.Run the command  sudo dsv-storage-defrag-show --detail hdd  the defraggable stripes should be a low figure <1%-2%The error may also be transient as the defrag may have caught up in the interim.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
EduardoMoreira
Occasional Advisor

Hello @DaveOb 

Thank you for your quick answer. I will open a support case to check the environment.

Regards.

NeoAA

SimpliVity 3.7.10: have the same issue here, "SimliVity data§defrag rocess is falling bahind. Avg stripe density is low." shown on the mainly host (hosting 70% of VMs storage P S) on my cluster of 4 nodes ...

what support tell about your case? thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

You shouldn't be allowed to mark a thread as solved by telling someone to contact support.  Post a solution or leave it open.

Maxilib

Hi,

Do you resolv your problem ?

BR