108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Method to change arbiter

SOLVED
Go to solution
J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Method to change arbiter

Hello, I'm looking for the appropriate way to change the aribter IP on a Simplivity Strecthed cluster.

I have the command line (svt-arbiter-address-set --address) but my concern is more about the good way to do it in order to avoid issues.

Does the arbiter must be in the same IP range of the OVC or can it be different as long as routing is done ?

Regards.

Jean-Philippe

9 REPLIES 9
DowS
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Method to change arbiter

Hi Jean-Philippe,

Using svt-arbiter-address-set --address is perfectly acceptable as long as you are simply changing IP on the Arbiter.

If changing the instance of Arbiter then the dsv-arbiter-instance-set --address would be required to update the GUID.

Version's Pre 3.7.4 will require support assistance to perform this action.

3.7.4 onwards can be done by elevating to root using the following steps:

• sudo su
  • source /var/tmp/build/bin/appsetup

The same IP range is not necessary, routing is sufficient. As long as the Arbiter and OVC can connect over 

22122 UDP/TCP.

Regards
Simon

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Hi ,

I need to reinstall the arbiter on a server which has the same IP of the old arbiter server

When trying to use the svt-arbiter-address-set  command I got the following error

How can I fix it ?

administrator@vsphere@omnicube-ip70-64:~$ svt-arbiter-address-set --address 192.168.10.1
..ERROR [222]: The Arbiter Address specified matches the current arbiter address and the intention w                              as to change the IP address.
    Additional Information:
        ArbiterAddressChange

DowS
HPE Pro

Hi Stefano,

As you are not changing the IP of the Arbiter then you do not need the svt-arbiter-address-set command.

As you are changing the instance of Arbiter then the dsv-arbiter-instance-set --address is required to update the GUID.

Version's Pre 3.7.4 will require support assistance to perform this action. and you will need to log a support case.

If you are using version 3.7.4 onwards it can be done by elevating to root using the following steps and running the command:

• sudo su
  • source /var/tmp/build/bin/appsetup
  • dsv-arbiter-instance-set --address 192.168.10.1

Run svt-federation-show afterwards to confirm the Arbiter shows as connected and federation is healthy.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Hello
I’ve copied the simplivity folder from the old server to the new one and that worked
J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Hello Simon, back with another question about arbiter and to be sure to fully understand the "instance" term.

Current Arbiter is installed on VM "A" with IP "1"

If changing for a new Arbiter on VM "B" with IP "2"

Does I'm changing the "instance" of the arbiter and need to use dsv-arbiter-instance-set --address or the svt-arbiter-address-set --address is enough to upload the cluster ?

Thanks for your help

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

In my direct experience you're changing instance , tha'ts why I copied the configuration files from "VM A" to "VM B" .

This way I didn't change instance but only IP 

HTH

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Hi Stefano, thanks for your feedback. Does it required to execute the command on each OVC of the cluster or if I upload the instance on 1 OVC that's OK ?

I'm not able to find information about that. even in last 3.7.7 Cli guide the only command talking about the arbiter is the :

svt-arbiter-address-set --address arbiter_IP_address --

Stefano Colombo
Valued Contributor

Copying the arbiter software installation folder to the new VM required to perform on one OVC only the command to change the arbiter IP , since the instance didn't change 

svt-arbiter-address-set --address arbiter_IP_address -- 

Henry A.C. Jansen
Trusted Contributor

Thank you Stefano,

Your comment saved my day... Thanks again.