HPE SimpliVity
1752393 Members
6408 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Migrate Storage and Federation interface to new 10 G Card.

AshruTech
Occasional Contributor

Migrate Storage and Federation interface to new 10 G Card.

Dear All,

please find the below Network connectivity on HPE Simplivity Node. 

• Storage and Federation >>> 10G Interface((hpe flexfabric 10gb 2p 534flr-sfp+ adptr)>> Vswitch 0
  • Management and VM Network >> 1 G Interface >> VSWITCH 1

We are going to introduce a new 10 G Card to the simplicity node and  i want to configure the network like below

• Storage and Federation >>> New 10G Interface 
  • Management and VM Network >> 1 G Interface
  • External Storage FCoE Connectivity >>>.Existing 10 G Interface (10G Interface((hpe flexfabric 10gb 2p 534flr-sfp+ adptr))

Please guide me on how can I migrate Storage and Federation 1Traffice from 10G Interface to Newly introduce 10 G interface?

7 REPLIES 7
Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

Re: Migrate Storage and Federation interface to new 10 G Card.

Hi Ashru Tech,

There is not a simple response here as there is clearly a lot of configuration to review to make the right choices.

1. Is the new 10GbE card an HPE card, or something supported by HPE? If it is third party, you might have some issues with firmware updates and the SimpliVity interoperatibility guide, https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00095520en_us

2. How many nodes in the SimpliVity cluster? You reference only a single node, is this a DR node or something?

AshruTech
Occasional Contributor

Hi Randolfini, 

Thank you for your quick reply, Please find the below Node details and please advise me.

• 3 Node HP Simplivity Node and Running ESXi
  • No DR ..
  • New NIC Card :  HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP Adapter(652503-B21)

I am planning to do like below:

• Install new NIC on all the node( one by one after put on maintenance mode)
  • Add the new interface to VSWITCH1(Storage and federation switch) and unassigned existing interface from the vswitch1
  • Enable FCoE on Existing 10 G on the interface and Connect the external Storage.( I have taken approval from HPE for connecting external storage)
Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

Hi AshruTech,

I think that is a sound plan. Assuming the new NIC is connected to the same 10GbE switch ports as the old card it should work as those ports will have all the same configuration.

I would just make sure the NIC is at a supported firmware level from the interop guide for the version of SimpliVity you are running. If you find that the card is lower, I recommend using the HPE firmware to upgrade just the NIC firmware to the level that everything else is on.

I'm not a HPE employee and I've never done this specific action with SimpliVity before, but I have switched out NICs in this manner before. Previously I've used this method to go from 1GbE NIC to 10GbE NIC.

AshruTech
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for advicee and if you don't mind what is the procedure did you follow for rom 1GbE NIC to 10GbE NIC

Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

It was the same as you listed more or less.

I made sure the card was on VMware HCL

I configured the 10GbE switch with the same configuration as the 1GbE switch, like trunking VLANs, jumbo frames, etc.

I did this host by host, putting each host into maintenance mode, gracefully shut down, then installed the card. I updated the firmware for the card and then connected to 10GbE Switch. 

Staying in maintenance mode I configured the vSwitches to use the new NIC by assigning them (host>Configure>Network/Virtual Switches>Manage Physical Adapters) and then used vmkernel ping / vmkping to ping the other vmkernels on the other hosts over the 10GbE using that vSwitch source vmkernel. You could do the same to ping the other OVCs from the VMKernel of the vSwitch.

Then come out of maintenance mode and move over a VM to test and validate further. In your case it would be powering on the OVC and ensure it boots properly.

I don't have anything more granular than that, if you were looking for a step-by-step I don't have that anymore. You could try opening a support ticket to see if they can provide more detail or even possibly assist.

AshruTech
Occasional Contributor

Dear Randolfin,

Thank you, One more question.

is any configuration required on HP Simplivity Side(Virtual Controller VM , or ISCSI, Omnicstack Acceclartion card) ?

Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I’m replying from mobile.

I recommend opening a ticket to double check as there may be pre determined guidance here.

I don’t think the OVC stack will even know. The nic replacement happens at the vswitch, which abstracts the networking layer.
If you are hosting storage from ovc to other compute nodes, that might change something, I’m not sure on that one.