HPE SimpliVity
1751936 Members
4670 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Non-simplivity host masquerading as a Simplivity node.

policeman51
Advisor

Non-simplivity host masquerading as a Simplivity node.

We are deploying a new Simplivity node in our cluster.
The HPE deployment team ran into an issue where the deployment was getting an error connecting to a non-simplivity host.
They were able to bypass the error, but does anyone know why a non-simplivity host would be broadcasting (for lack of a better term) as a Simplivity node.
The technician checked and that host wasn't sharing any storage with Simplivity.  It also doesn't show up running svt-federation-show.  It never was part of a simplivity cluster.  It actually was an old Windows box we converted over to ESXi.
The server is an older HP DL380p Gen8.  We actually have 2 others in that cluster, but for some reason the Simplivity Deployment Manager wanted to connect to it to verify connectivity.
Has annyone ever seen this and know of any settings to change to stop that from happening.
I'm worried that other Simplivity servers will try and connect to it at some point. 
3 REPLIES 3
DaveOb
HPE Pro

Re: Non-simplivity host masquerading as a Simplivity node.

Deployment manager will try to verify the deployed nodes in cluster to check if they are compatible with the version of Simplivity you are trying to deploy, I imagine the ESXi was not contactable by whatever method the DM is using to verify.

Was the ESXi in an existing cluster ?

Its definitly not going to cause an issue with anything trying to connect to simplivity neither the ESXi or Simplivity will have an idea of the existance of each other.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
policeman51
Advisor

Thanks for the reply.  The deployment tech stated the same thing that it wouldn't harm anything.

Yes, the host is in an existing cluster, but not the cluster the new Simplivity node was going to so I thought that was strange.

When deploying we even put the troublesome host in maintenance mode, but the deployment manager still tried contacting it.  Seems like there is some reference to the host in the federation somewhere.  

DaveOb
HPE Pro

DM is just trying to accertain the layout of a potential federation for the deployment , there is no reference within the federation itself  so other then the deployment there is no issue going forward.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo