5989 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OVC Upgrade failing

Brian_Galante
Frequent Advisor

OVC Upgrade failing

Hey Guys, 

Having a failure with the OVC upgrade, one node in the federation failed and it is no longer progressing.

What does "Restart the upgrade" Mean?

I'm in the upgrade manager, do I hit "cancel" then re-open the upgrade manager? 

I'm hesitant to do anything because at the top of the screen it says "Caution: Do not close the appplication"

I opened a case with support but wondering if you guys can provide some insight in the meantime. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Askey_15
HPE Pro

@Brian_Galante 

Hi Brian,

Hope you are doing Well.

Normally "Restart the Upgrade" option comes if any of the component upgrade fails and you can check the reason why it failed and upon validating the same you can restart the upgrade.

Caution is to make sure you do not close the upgrade manager whille the upgrade is in progress: 

Based on the HPE OmniStack vSphere Upgrade Guide-  If you close and reopen Upgrade Manager while an upgrade is in progress, you will be unable to cancel the upgrade in the new Upgrade Manager instance. Attempting to do so will result in an error.

I would encourage you to refer to the HPE OmniStack Vsphere upgrade Guide specific to the Omnistack version you are upgrading to for more information.

Regards,

Abhishek 

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Shivam1
HPE Pro

Hi Brian,

If the upgrade has failed with red text on Upgrade Manager ,this means that it has failed and you can verify the same through a ssh connection to OVC with failed upgrade,svt-software-status-show is the command to check if the task has failed, now since the upgrade has failed, you can shut the application ,fix the reason for failure and restart te upgrade.

Regards

Shivam 

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Brian_Galante
Frequent Advisor

Thank you guys for your answers, I ended up having to open a case with support.

Right now I'm stuck in the middle of an upgrade on a 3 node cluster. One node finished ok, the 2nd is failed, and the 3rd is not started yet. The OVC in question will not come online (SVTFS wont start) and its showing as "Managed" instead of "Alive" in svt-federation-show. We've tried several things so far with no success, we may be looking at a OVC Reset / Redployment.. Thanks again for your time. 

Shivam1
HPE Pro

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the update.

Regards

Shivam

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

MikeSeden
HPE Pro

Brian,

What kind of SimpliVity nodes are they? Where are you at with your support case?

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company
Accept or Kudo