1753416 Members
6432 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OVC memory requirements for 4.0.1.U1

Jason-White
Occasional Advisor

OVC memory requirements for 4.0.1.U1

Is there a memory requirement document for the OVC and the memory they need to run? We recenlty upgraded from 3.7 to 4.0.1 and the OVC went from 108G of memory utilized to 287G of used memory. We ended up having to upgrade the memory in the host in order power all the VM's back on. We have 6 more host we need to upgrade and trying to figure out if we need to order memory in advance or not.   

10 REPLIES 10
Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jason,

I upgraded from 3.6.2 over time to 3.7.10 U1 on legacy hosts, they are at 100GB of RAM for OVC.

I installed five new HPE nodes, on 3.7.10 U1 then upgraded them to 4.0.1 U1. These are each at 114GB RAM for OVC.

I think you might need to open a ticket with support if you are seeing 287GB of memory used. Are you saying the assigned memory went from 108 to 287?

Jason-White
Occasional Advisor

Yes all the OVC's are consuming 287G of memory after upgrading to 4.0.1. We opened a case with support and they told us that was the required amount of ram assigned to the OVC and it could not be changed. We had to stop the upgrades and purchase memory as we were loosing 180G pere node after the upgrades. 

Jason-White
Occasional Advisor

They are running  Release 4.0.1.184. Every OVC we upgraded took that much memory. 

OVC 4.0.1 Memory.png

Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jason,

I'm confused, why would your OVCs suddenly reserve move memory? If the standard is roughly 110GB, why do yours have such a high reservation?

Are there different versions of the OVC that I am unaware?

Maybe you got a support person that didn't know better to possible adjust it.

I've got five legacy and five new nodes, none have this reservation. I've reloaded them a several times, upgraded from 3.6.2 on the legacy, the reservation never increased.

Anyways, sucks that you had to buy more memory to accomodate, unplanned expenses sometimes don't go over well.

Jason-White
Occasional Advisor

It didn't just jump we upgraded from 3.7.9 to 4.0.1 once we upgrade the OVC reservation went to the new higher numbrer. I would love to HPE to chime in and assist. I have another set of systems to upgrade and we are holding off because we can't afford to take that large of a hit on memory just to upgrade. 

gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @Jason-White,

The amount of memory reserved for the OmniStack Controller is different based on the storage size of the HPE Server. The amount of memory reserved for the OmniStack controller cannot be changed as it is a requirement for it to work properly. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Jason-White
Occasional Advisor

Hello @gustenar,

I understand the memory resorvation and that it can't be changed. What I am trying to figure out is if there is a matrix or requirements guide for memory needed. We have 6 more host to upgrade and we can't figure out what amount of memory they will need after the upgrade to 4.0. We don't want to run into the issue we did on the last upgrades where we had to shutdown VM's due to the lack of memory because of the OVC reservation.  

gustenar
HPE Pro

The memory reserved for the OVC is based on the storage size (DL380 small, medium, large, extra large). If you can provide the model numbers of the servers I could check. Are all these servers using the larger disks (3.84TB)?

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
tonymcmillan
Frequent Advisor

Memory requirements for the OVC vary depending on the storage size:

XSmall - 64GB

Small ~ 69GB

Medium ~ 108GB

Large ~120GB

XLarge ~ 280GB

Although the memory can vary by a few GB on depending on the OVC version, an OVC consuming around 280GB would be for an XL only. Since you didn't mention anything about a storage upgrade, I'd say you've hit a bug and need to open a case with HPE.