1752788 Members
6293 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Power on VMs on a single SVT380 node

Selector
Occasional Contributor

Power on VMs on a single SVT380 node

We have a simple two node SVT380 Gen10 cluster. During testing, we powered off the cluster and try to power on the VM's on a single SVT node. but it was not possible. Only after we powered on the second node and VM HA status was synced, we could power on VM's .

How can we power on VM's on a single Simplivity node after power outage of a cluster? Since data is replicated between the nodes I would expect to have the (override) option to start VM's on both nodes.

4 REPLIES 4
DaveOb
HPE Pro

By your discription you may have powered on the nodes in order then you powered them off.

For instance you powered off Node A (vms continued to run on B)

You power off node B (no VMs as both A+B are off)

If you now power on node A and leave node B off the newest copy of the data is not available,if you had swapped the order the  data most lilkely would be available sooner.

In  a real world senario say you lost power to  both nodes ,brought both back up at the same time, either  both will start circa the same time , assuming  one node fails to start for whatever reason its probably time to open a support ticket and and either the issue can be resolved or the older copy promoted  in conjucntion with support.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Selector
Occasional Contributor

@DaveOb 

Thanks for the answer.

Regarding "... assuming  one node fails to start for whatever reason its probably time to open a support ticket and and either the issue can be resolved or the older copy promoted in conjucntion with support.",

This is actually a quite possible scenario that can happen with this customer due to specific environment. They want to have the procedures prepared ahead as they can not rely on internet access during potential power outages.. Anyway, considering there are 2 copies of the VM's, possibility to start a VM from a second copy should be a more standard procedure. Can somebody post it here or should I go for a support ticket to request one?

Systems are still not in production so we have to test the procedure before going live.

DaveOb
HPE Pro

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
DaveOb
HPE Pro

This may be best to discuss with the solution architect who would be aware of the specific environmental needs.

It is a support task with the potential to cause dataloss,

Investing time in VM shutdown policy/UPS/remote backup stratagey may be a better use of the time an orderly shutdown of the VMs would protect for the most part  against the specific power outage  senario. 

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo