1753802 Members
8212 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: RapidDR & Backup Policy Design Question

koal
Occasional Contributor

RapidDR & Backup Policy Design Question

We have two SVT Clusters, each with their own vCenter and in linked mode with each other.  One is our produciton site and the other our DR site.  Our production site is the only environment with active machines.  DR site is bascially empty, currently.

We have configured our backup policies to backup each production machine locally to the production cluster and also remotely to the DR cluster.  (This is a pretty standard backup strategy I would assume).

The DR scenario that we are designing for assumes that our production site has been lost.  Meaning the production vCenter and cluster are inaccessible from the DR cluster. 

When configuring RapidDR for this, it appears that you can only choose the production side vcenter as the source for the backups to use to restore machines into the DR cluster.  In our scenario we are wanting to use the backups of our production machines that have been stored on the DR cluster according to our backup policies.

After attempting to configure RapidDR for this scenario it seems that's outside of the design for the tool.  Does this seem right?  Can you only recover to an alternate cluster from the original clusters backups?  Is there no way to use the DR-stored backups for recovery?

Hopefully I've explained this clearly.  Can clarify if needed.

4 REPLIES 4
Vasquez69
Visitor

@koal wrote:

We have two SVT Clusters, each with their own vCenter and in linked mode with each other.  One is our produciton site and the other our DR site.  Our production site is the only environment with active machines.  DR site is bascially empty, currently.

We have configured our backup policies to backup each production machine locally to the production cluster and also remotely to the DR cluster.  (This is a pretty standard backup strategy I would assume).

The DR scenario that we are designing for assumes that our production site has been lost.  Meaning the production vCenter and cluster are inaccessible from the DR cluster. 

When configuring RapidDR for this, it appears that you can only choose the production side vcenter as the source for the backups to use to restore machines into the DR cluster.  In our scenario we are wanting to use the backups of our production machines that have been stored on the DR cluster according to our backup policies.

After attempting to configure RapidDR for this scenario it seems that's outside of the design for the tool.  Does this seem right?  Can you only recover to an alternate cluster from the original clusters backups?  Is there no way to use the DR-stored backups for recovery?

Hopefully I've explained this clearly.  Can clarify if needed.

Backup and recovery describes the process of creating and storing copies of data, so do you have any storage avaliable?

koal
Occasional Contributor

Yes.  Storage is readily available and the backups that we'd like to restore from are also available in this scenario.  The problem that I'm running into is having the automated RapidDR tool automate retriveing from and restoring to the locations that I'd like.

From DR cluster storage -> To DR cluster storage... the caveat being that the backups that I'm restoring are of VMs that were originally in the Production cluster's inventory.. not the DR clusters.

Jpe_bastias
Occasional Advisor

Hi @koal  @Vasquez69 

One Question??

How did you configure your backup policies to back up to the remote DR cluster?

When I try to create the backup policy for the remote cluster, I can't see the remote cluster.

Can you provide guidance on how to do this?

Ooophelia
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

It feels a little complicated to hear you talk about it. 

As for DR solution and backup policy design, I believe Vinchin is the best solution I've used. Vinchin Backup & Recovery provide entire Backup & DR solution for enterprise customers, and SMB cusomters.

The Backup policy is flexible and easy to understand, you don't need to think out all scenarios, their solution architect will customized solution for specific environment. As for VMware Cluster, they have fully support multiple transmission and have bank-level data encrypted technology, which can protect your data safe.

Also DR solution can cut a lot of money for Company, this is the best for any decision maker. Anyway, If you want, you can try it!