108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Remove a backup policy

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Remove a backup policy

Hello the community,

did someone already face that issue ? 

I can remove a backup policy from the svt plugin, (for sure the policy is empty otherwise I couldn't remove it) but even if I don't get any errror, the policy is still there.

I've logoff / logon the vCenter, still the same. Check via CLI (svt-backup-show) on an OVC still there.

I've also remove all the backup previously taken by that policy.

If someone have tips.

Thanks,

Jean-Philippe

6 REPLIES 6
Rajini_Saini
HPE Pro

Hi @J-Philippe ,

Thank you for choosing HPE.

On the vCenter, please click on Menu ->  HPE SimpliVity Federation -> Backup Policies -> select the Backup policy you want to delete -> Click on More Objects -> check if any VM, VM template or datastore is still listed.

If yes, then you might have to assign a new policy to those objects so that this one gets unassigned.
If the above does not work, Let me know when you delete the backup policy, if there is no error, is the Recent task show completed for the delete action.
Have you tried deleting the backup policy using CLI?

regards,
Rajini Saini

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Strange, the policy is empty in the vCenter (No VMs, Templates or datastore assigned) but even with the CLI it doesn't work, I get this error ..ERROR [32]: You cannot delete a Backup Policy that is used by datastores or VMs. Additional Information: ActiveBackupPolicy TException - service has thrown: TaskException(errorCode=32, extendedResponse=[ActiveBackupPolicy])
bbelew
Advisor

I have the exact same issue.  Had a support case open for months and support\engineers never could find anything wrong or figure out how to delete it.  A new release came out and they told me the upgrade would take care of it .....*Surprise* it did not.

My theory is it's related to the backup policy being applied to a VM or datastore that was deleted before I removed the backup policy from it.  I finally gave up on it and just let it be but hopefully you have better luck and can post a solution.

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your feedback I was thinking about a removed or unregistered VM that could occur this behaviour. I'll share the solution if I found one.
gustenar
HPE Pro

There must be an object in the internal datatabase still attached to that backup policy. It will require more investigation and a support case to be opened. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Treybizzle
Occasional Advisor

We don't run backups with SimpliVity so we just delete the rule and keep the policy there (Default rule) and then the backups wont run.