HPE SimpliVity
1752653 Members
5878 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Running out of space on one host, other 2 hosts in datacenter have plenty of space

adidasnmotion
Advisor

Running out of space on one host, other 2 hosts in datacenter have plenty of space

When I run

dsv-balance-show --shownodeip

I get the following results:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 12.21.51 PM.png

What do I have to do to get the disk usage spread out more evenly, or at least move some of whats taking up space on the host with only 795 GB of free space over to the host that has 10.8 TB of free space? 

1 REPLY 1
DamianErangey
HPE Pro

Re: Running out of space on one host, other 2 hosts in datacenter have plenty of space

Hello

The HPE SimpliVity resource balancer/IWO service will attempt to balance the virtual machine data containers (Hives) as evenly as possible, however in a three node cluster this can be challenging.
Why? each vm has two data containers (hives) associated with it, a primary (or active hive) and a standby hive. As a result, when distributing hives across a three-node cluster you will have one node that will contain a larger amount of hives (primaries and secondaries) by virtu of diving 2 into 3 (obviously it does not distribute evenly!)
This is better explained visually I find. It is explained in more detail in the blog

https://community.hpe.com/t5/around-the-storage-block/how-vm-data-is-managed-within-hpe-simplivity-clusters-part-5/ba-p/7046464#.X5KfhRKSlPY

All that being said, that blog also outlines how you can perform a manual balance of hives in your cluster to possibly achieve better hive distribution.

What do I have to do to get the disk usage spread out more evenly, or at least move some of what’s taking up space on the host with only 795 GB of free space over to the host that has 10.8 TB of free space?

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo