108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Shutting down the OVC via putty process is stuck

simonsimon1129
Valued Contributor

Shutting down the OVC via putty process is stuck

Hello Everyone,

HPE Support Case 5352940266
3 hours waiting still no reply from support.

Please help we only have limited windows time in upgrading the firmware upgrade for the server.
What to We cannot shutdown the OVC ?
svt-shutdown-status
Output: Forcing the virtual controller to shut down.

commands I input:
1. svt-shutdown-safe(After 30 mins of waiting nothing happens due to HA compliance)
2. svt-shutdown-force(1 hour nothig happen)

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @simonsimon1129 

Were you able to shutdown the controller gracefully? It will be important to determine which VM is not in HA and why. 

Run svt-vm-show --violations to see if any Vms are reporting as non HA. The command svt-shutdown-force should skip this step and send the instruction to shutdown the OVC, if this didn't happen see if the svtfs service is actually stopping or not with "svtfs status" or "systemctl status svtfs@0" (if you are 3.7.10 and above). 

Thanks, 

gustenar

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Shivam1
HPE Pro

Hi Simon,

It appears that VM hives are not in HA sync ,that could be for multiple reason like the some of the hives being in orphaned state or the hives are delated and we have an empty folder in the database.

In this situation ,I would request you to evacuate the host off any production VM's and force power OFF the OVC from vCenter OR use shutdown -r command from CLI to take the OVC down, put the host in maintaince mode and perform upgrade.

Once the upgrade is done ,please have the support  identify the hives which are not complying with storage synchronization.

Regards

Shivam

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo